Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bru'nWater Pale Ale Profile?  (Read 5953 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: Bru'nWater Pale Ale Profile?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »
I read that too about keeping Ca low in lagers - Martin is just full of good tips.  I think I also read that malt supplies all of the Mg that is needed, so a Mg addition isn't always necessary.  I think that was in the Directions tab, although I can't be sure without looking. 

I've been away from the board for a while, and it's good to be back with the community.  I brewed a Spruce Tip IPA recently that was just the bomb.  I might have to post that recipe.  Spruce tips + Mosaic hops = awesome.

As for the User Custom profile - now I see it.  Waaaaay down there.  Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »
One thing I do is keep two "clean" copies of the spreadsheet that are the basis for new copies. One is pre-configured with McDoles for hoppy beers and the second is all zeroes.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »
One thing I do is keep two "clean" copies of the spreadsheet that are the basis for new copies. One is pre-configured with McDoles for hoppy beers and the second is all zeroes.

Good idea.  I might have to go that route.  One thing I find annoying is that I have enable Macros every time.  I wish I could save that preference.  That's not a criticism of Martin's spreadsheet, just Excel in general.  I find Bru'nWater to be extremely helpful and user-friendly. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 07:01:18 pm »

Yeah, I will try and remember to add that 5 IBUs to the other 200+ IBU in my IPA.   ;D  But the point is well taken.

Sam, I hope you know that the solubility limit of iso-alpha acid is around 85 ppm. There have been plenty of lab analytic studies that have proven that claims of 200 IBU's in beer are false.  However, I have to admit that I believe there are components other than iso-alpha acid that create bittering in beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 08:33:12 am »

Yeah, I will try and remember to add that 5 IBUs to the other 200+ IBU in my IPA.   ;D  But the point is well taken.

Sam, I hope you know that the solubility limit of iso-alpha acid is around 85 ppm. There have been plenty of lab analytic studies that have proven that claims of 200 IBU's in beer are false.  However, I have to admit that I believe there are components other than iso-alpha acid that create bittering in beer.

Yep, but it's just funny to see it pop up in Promash (I think Tinseth setting).  I think I've pretty much ignored IBU in my IPA for a long time. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:34 am »
Personally, I don't get especially worried about high Ca levels in most ales. But a good reason to use some epsom (MgSO4) in hoppy beers is that Mg is said to enhance bitterness. Regardless, I never go above the Brunwater Mg level of ~ 17ppm . On lagers though, I do use epsom to get Mg up to ~ 17ppm so that I can keep Ca content from exceeding 50ppm, as Martin has said that high Ca in lagers can be detrimental, even to yeast performance.  $0.02  .

Same here.  I think my Ca in mine are like 180 or so.  I gotta ask tho using epsom for lager.  I usually just get Ca up to 25ppm with CaCl using distilled water.  Do you think there is some flavor from the small epsom addy?  I am of the belief that "malt contains enough minerals" (Mg) for yeast.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 09:03:35 am »
I gotta ask tho using epsom for lager.  I usually just get Ca up to 25ppm with CaCl using distilled water.  Do you think there is some flavor from the small epsom addy?  I am of the belief that "malt contains enough minerals" (Mg) for yeast.   

Not a flavor angle at all for me. Just a way to get sulfate content without excess Ca in most lagers. I've been targeting 40 -50ppm Ca for a while in lagers, so it's often a combo of epsom, gypsum, and CaCl2, depending on what I'm brewing.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 09:54:50 am »
Tasty's profile is pretty similar to Martin's pale ale profile. I doubt you'd taste a difference.

Personally, I don't get especially worried about high Ca levels in most ales. But a good reason to use some epsom (MgSO4) in hoppy beers is that Mg is said to enhance bitterness. Regardless, I never go above the Brunwater Mg level of ~ 17ppm . On lagers though, I do use epsom to get Mg up to ~ 17ppm so that I can keep Ca content from exceeding 50ppm, as Martin has said that high Ca in lagers can be detrimental, even to yeast performance.  $0.02  .

For ales, I try to keep the Ca level under 100.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 10:01:55 am »
Tasty's profile is pretty similar to Martin's pale ale profile. I doubt you'd taste a difference.

For ales, I try to keep the Ca level under 100.

Is that for flavor or health or? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 10:11:43 am »

Is that for flavor or health or?

Based on what I understand of what Martin has written, it's plenty of Ca.  And too much can be a factor in early flocculation...again, if I understood him correctly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 09:32:37 pm »
Well guys, I brewed this batch as planned, using the Pale Ale profile.  It's finally carbed up and I have to say that this is by far the best IPA I've brewed to date.  This was batch #159.  I think the mineral profile has finally given me the IPA I've been looking for - that sharp, resinous, bold character.

The recipe is below.  Mighty fine.

Mr. Wizard's Nippletwister IPA 

13 lb Maris Otter.  Mash @ 152.  I built my water from RO to the Pale Ale Profile on Bru'nWater.

0.8 oz Magnum, 14.7% aa, 60 min
0.5 oz Nugget, 13.5% aa, 60 min
3 oz Mosaic, 12.3% aa, (whirlpool 30 min)
1.5 oz Citra, 13.4% aa, (whirlpool 30 min)   
3 oz Mosaic (dry hop)
1.5 oz Citra (dry hop)   

Ferment @ 64 with US-05.
I cold crash for at least two days to drop the yeast.  Then I rack to a keg with the dry hops in a sanitized nylon stocking.  I keg hop for one week at cellar temps, then move the keg into the fridge to carbonate. 

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 03:08:20 pm »
Surly's, Todd the Axeman is an awesome beer. I had a friend bring me a four pack from Wisconsin down to Indiana. Definitely will be making road trips to Chicago area to pick up more.
How was the comparison from yours to the original?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 12:39:50 pm »
FWIW, I'm in the "slow down with the sulfate" crowd. I'm liking the 170ish range. And yes, part of that is from epsom salts.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:07 pm »
FWIW, I'm in the "slow down with the sulfate" crowd. I'm liking the 170ish range. And yes, part of that is from epsom salts.

Same here. For me, it seems to be about the right amount to pop the hops, but not enough to seem minerally.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »
Yep.  In my experiments you gotta get at least 150ppm to get that pop but I still like adding more.  It doesn't really pop the hops more but I like the minerally vibe or "crunk" as Martin calls it.  I think it adds a certain boldness that I like but I can see others may not.  I once did a English style IPA with all EKG (out of T. Fosters book) and went as high as 500ppm and I thought it really lent a really authentic vibe too it.  I am long overdue to do another with some of the new UK hops.  So many beers so little time...
Sam
Sandusky, OH