Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager!  (Read 14549 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: First lager!
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:29 pm »
Phil, lager strains on the whole produce more sulfur than most ale strains. Some strains more so than others. No worries - sulfur always dissipates. Always. If you keg, venting through the PRV regularly helps big time.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »
Actually, the cold temps/CO2 thing were something I was wondering about. Pulled a taste yesterday, yep, if it was a British beer it'd almost be overcarbed.

Yeah, at first it feels drastically different from ales, but once you get your head wrapped around how it behaves at certain temps it's easy to redefine "normal" behavior.

The following morning things were rocking, both beers seem to be fine.

One of these beers smells like an egg though, lots of sulfur. What really contributes to this? Grist? Yeast? I do have copper in my plate chiller, so that "side" of it has been taken care of.

Yeasts used were WLP835 Lager X and Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager. Sniffing airlocks makes me think the 835 is the sulfur bomb culprit.
I haven't used those particular yeasts, but some are more prone to throw sulfur than others (and lager yeasts generally have more of a reputation for this than ale yeasts).

The good news is most of that stuff is quite volatile and blows off quickly with the fermentation.

In my experience I've found that as I "get to know" a particular yeast strain and how it will perform in my system, I can minimize sulfur with higher pitching rates and making sure that I pitch as close to fermentation temp as possible (preferring to pitch 1 degree below and rise than to pitch 1 degree above and drop). That level of obsession may not be necessary or beneficial -- just something I've noticed.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »
That's basically what happened. Fridge was at 50, then warmed to 51 as the yeast started to generate heat.

I expected some sulfur, but I didn't expect so much that the kitchen smells like a ripe fart whenever the chest freezer is opened...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
Yep, lagers STINK!
But look on the bright side.  Everything you smell now is coming OUT of the beer and won't be there when its time to drink it.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2016, 07:18:27 pm »
(late) update:

Took FG measurements several days ago, 1.004 for the 835 and 1.002 for the 2001. Both way lower than anticipated. Seems

Beers both seem much more Helles than Pilsner-like. We'll see how they are after cold crash/carbing.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.