Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blow off question  (Read 1799 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
Blow off question
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:28:20 am »
A week ago I brewed an ale-toberfest.  The OG was 1.062.  I pitched a 1 liter starter with 2 packets of wyeast 1007 in it.  I put it in my chest freezer and set the temp to 58.  I set it up with a blow off into a 1 gallon carboy half full of sanitized solution.

Upon my return from a week long work trip today, I see that the fermentation overflowed the 1 gallon carboy and made a nice mess.  In the 1 gallon carboy there was roughly 3/4 inch of a yeast bed.  In the freezer there was quite a bit of yeast as I was wiping up.  I took a gravity reading as well and I'm sitting at 1.030.

I am not too worried about t he gravity right now as it's a little early to tell but my question is this...do I need to add more yeast to account for all the lost yeast in the blow off carboy and bottom of the freezer?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Blow off question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:50:22 am »
I'd say absolutely not.  You already way overpitched.  There should still be plenty of yeast left in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:05:03 am »
While I haven't had the overflow, I have always wondered about the blown yeast. I figure the remaining yeast would bud to makeup for the loss.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:09:14 am »
I'd say absolutely not.  You already way overpitched.  There should still be plenty of yeast left in the beer.

What do you consider an over pitch?  Beer smith estimated I needed 227 billion cells and my starter would have been roughly 265.  I figured that would be okay especially fermenting on the lower side of the temp scale for my strain.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:29:58 am »

What do you consider an over pitch?  Beer smith estimated I needed 227 billion cells and my starter would have been roughly 265.  I figured that would be okay especially fermenting on the lower side of the temp scale for my strain.

I have stopped using yeast calculators.  In real life it doesn't make that much difference.  I've found by experience that a 1 qt., 24 hour, SNS starter is sufficient for my beers up to a mid 70s gravity.  That's all I need to know.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:47:02 am »

[/quote]

I have stopped using yeast calculators.  In real life it doesn't make that much difference.  I've found by experience that a 1 qt., 24 hour, SNS starter is sufficient for my beers up to a mid 70s gravity.  That's all I need to know.
[/quote]

Fair enough...maybe I should start doing this.  I feel like I stress too much about pitching rate.  I know this is a real silly question but what do you mean by an SNS starter?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »

[/quote]

Fair enough...maybe I should start doing this.  I feel like I stress too much about pitching rate.  I know this is a real silly question but what do you mean by an SNS starter?
[/quote]

Shaken Not Stirred....search for it here

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:17:30 am »

I would assume that someone, like me, who usually brews three gallon batches could go up to 1.100, or higher with a 1 qt., 24 hour, SNS starter.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:54 am »
A week ago I brewed an ale-toberfest.  The OG was 1.062.  I pitched a 1 liter starter with 2 packets of wyeast 1007 in it.

Also, not really sure how much yeast you are actually growing with 2 packets in only a 1 liter starter. I would bet that those yeast would just be getting going with that amount of medium to consume. Typically, I would not go any smaller than a 1:1 ratio of yeast packet to starter size (quart/liter).