Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wet hop ale - why not boil wet hops?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: wet hop ale - why not boil wet hops?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 12:10:04 pm »
Personally, I do not like the vegal-like chlorophyll-ish flavors associated with wet hop beers. I imagine boiling them would increase those (to my palate) unpleasant flavors.

I agree. I have tried different breweries wet hop beers over the years, and not a single one had me clamoring for more. I feel that they are overly "spicy" and grassy for my palate and I keep thinking how the beer could actually be pretty good if they just use properly dried hops.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »
I said all that and yet filled two firkins with "wet" hops picked from my  biz partners bines then make 8 gallons of "wet" hop IPA that had all the "wet" hops added at flame out (and some CTZ pellets @ 60 for bittering.) I'm not going to be super interested in drinking them but there will be folks out there who will be.

If I were a pro... Yep. I sure would make some wet-hopped ales... The novelty sells. A lot like pumpkin beers.

On another note. I just got an add from my LHBS for centennial and Amarillo wet hops for "only" $15.99 a pound. I'm not sure who in the right mind would spend that since you need about 7x wet hops as dried hops. But to each their own. I'm sure they'll sell out.
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:28 am »
On another note. I just got an add from my LHBS for centennial and Amarillo wet hops for "only" $15.99 a pound. I'm not sure who in the right mind would spend that since you need about 7x wet hops as dried hops. But to each their own. I'm sure they'll sell out.

The price isn't outrageous when you factor in the normal cost of the varieties plus paying for express shipping to get them delivered to the HBS plus the risk of having to trash whatever doesn't sell.

If you really like wet hopped beers then that's among the best reasons to grow your own hops. Can't beat the convenience and cost factor. Granted, you can't get all the most popular hops as rhizomes/starts but centennial seems like a common wet hop beer hop.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing