Author Topic: Why no home brew TV shows?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Why no home brew TV shows?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
A reality show about a celebrity who's a home brewer?
Will Wheaton's Wide Wide World of Wort? :)
Vancouver, WA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
You guys are thinking like homebrewers..think like a network exec.  Who the hell is gonna watch these shows?  A few thousand people?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
You guys are thinking like homebrewers..think like a network exec.  Who the hell is gonna watch these shows?  A few thousand people?

Bingo.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Brewmaster General
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 05:00:11 AM »

Maybe-
The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »

That's why I suggest a celebrity reality show that doesn't strictly focus on home brewing. There are many, many, many thousands of ... easily entertained people who watch those damn things. Anyone for Kardashian kolsch? :)
Vancouver, WA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
They make shows about moonshining, crab fishing, logging, ice road trucking, Bigfoot hunting, etc. I doubt many people do those activities either. I wonder how many people watch those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL

Offline Visor

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
  Find a few obnoxious, overbearing buffoons to be the stars of the show, make the point of the show all about competition, backstabbing, sanctified ignorance and boorishness with beer as the excuse, and it's liable to be a hit. Reality TV is all about making the viewer feel that even though they are messed up, there others in the world worse than them. The is no reality in reality TV.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:22:55 AM »
I watch old Brewing TV episodes sometimes, that's still the standard IMO.

That being said, I don't have a cable subscription. I only watch "TV" online when I'm doing some other work on the computer, and even then I still only watch a few hours a week. I'd rather spend an hour brewing than sit around watching a show about it.
Don't buy stale beer.

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline brew inspector01

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 06:28:03 PM »
There was and still may be Brewdogs. Pro brewers making home brew scale beer with a where ever they happen to be local theme

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
I always thought a brewing show along the lines of "Chopped" or "Hells Kitchen" kind of thing or even a brewing show in the form of Ink Master would be cool. The brewers could come out to a challenge, say brewing a certain style or using these ingredients in a beer. Show how they go through the steps, what they do for fermentation, packaging and presenting the finished product. Of course it would have to be time lasped for the duration of 4 weeks or so but it always got me thinking. A sort of brewing elimination to become brew master.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
I always thought a brewing show along the lines of "Chopped" or "Hells Kitchen" kind of thing or even a brewing show in the form of Ink Master would be cool. The brewers could come out to a challenge, say brewing a certain style or using these ingredients in a beer. Show how they go through the steps, what they do for fermentation, packaging and presenting the finished product. Of course it would have to be time lasped for the duration of 4 weeks or so but it always got me thinking. A sort of brewing elimination to become brew master.

I'd watch that, as long as it's not on cable. The first thing I did when I lost my job during the recession was to cut off cable TV and the bill.
Vancouver, WA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
  Find a few obnoxious, overbearing buffoons to be the stars of the show, make the point of the show all about competition, backstabbing, sanctified ignorance and boorishness with beer as the excuse, and it's liable to be a hit. Reality TV is all about making the viewer feel that even though they are messed up, there others in the world worse than them. The is no reality in reality TV.

It would also have to show them screwing up big time in hilarious fashion to keep the viewers entertained.

Offline Visor

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »

It would also have to show them screwing up big time in hilarious fashion to keep the viewers entertained.
   Yes, that would probably be the key, people certainly do enjoy watching someone else have a trainwreck. I've never developed an ability to derive pleasure from other's pain, but I am part of a small minority in that respect.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 08:55:26 AM »

Yes, that would probably be the key, people certainly do enjoy watching someone else have a trainwreck. I've never developed an ability to derive pleasure from other's pain, but I am part of a small minority in that respect.

I take it you are not a Three Stooges fan.
It's a fine line between comedy and tragedy. You falling down a manhole is comedy, me falling down a manhole is tragedy.
Vancouver, WA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women