Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain hybrid brew??  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Rustybrewer

• 1st Kit
All grain hybrid brew??
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »
I am currently all grain brewing on a 15 gallon brew system and have been brewing 10 gallons in my 15 gallon pot to help avoid boil over.  Is it possible to scale my brew up to 15 gallons worth of malts an hops but only use my 10 gallons of water bill and end up with a somewhat high gravity, concentrated wort and then add water prior to fermenting to get my 15 gallons?  Kind of like what is done with many extracts.  If so, is there a technical term for this I can research?  I think these calculations can be done in Beersmith, I am just curious if it is a common practice and recommended.

Thanks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: All grain hybrid brew??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:25 pm »
This is exactly what Budweisser does. That said, theoretically you may be breaking colloidal bonds and affecting mouth feel and body.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 03:44:46 pm »
I would do this when brewing 10 gal batches in my old kettle that was a bit too small for comfort. Keep the amount of dilution as low as possible. Beyond the above issue from major, you also will see reduced hop utilization in the more concentrated wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:54:14 pm »
This is exactly what Budweisser does. That said, theoretically you may be breaking colloidal bonds and affecting mouth feel and body.

I did it for years before I got a bigger kettle and had no problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rustybrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 04:04:01 pm »
Excellent thoughts.  Thanks for the insight.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:46:06 am »
I do this in the summer to help in cooling the beer down to fermentation temps;  I can't tell the difference between brews with all the water added in up front or a thicker mash to start and cold make-up water at the end.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:51 am »
Just make sure that the chlorine has been removed from any top up water.
Lots of newbies don't realize that it causes dreaded phenolic off flavors.
(Not implying that you would do this, just adding it so those reading the post later and trying it won't do it either).
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline kesweeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 08:05:22 am »
If you want to do some research just google, or look for articles in BYO or Zymurgy called HGB, or high gravity brewing

Kevin Sweezey
BJCP Certified Judge

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 03:57:57 pm »
I do this in the summer to help in cooling the beer down to fermentation temps;  I can't tell the difference between brews with all the water added in up front or a thicker mash to start and cold make-up water at the end.

Me too.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women