Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 4115 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Cigars
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »
Wife and kids are gone away today and tomorrow. While at the state store for a bottle of Jagar I decided to grab a cigar. LOVE IT!! So,  I'm off to the Havana House to pick up a good one to enjoy this beautiful evening. Anyone else?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
Re: Cigars
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:52:14 am »
What did you pick up? My favorite reasonably priced cigar is the Punch Rare Corojo box pressed. I also enjoy the Henry Clay stalk cut. Both are around $7.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:39:01 pm »
I smoke a lot of cigars.  My favorite is the Liga Privada line of maduro cigars (Flying Pig, T52, etc.)  But lately my usual smoke is CAO's Brazilia.  For my taste buds it's the best QPR I can find.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 06:44:37 pm »
That whole CAO line is definitely smokeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:46:43 pm »
Had a smoke last night after the Bear's lost.  I don't recall what it was, but it was strong and tasty.  I have a few more of the same in my humidor.

Savored it with a glass of Bulliet bourbon sitting by the fire pit.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »
Nice! I just recently discovered Elijah Craig bourbon. I had it at a blind tasting and loved it.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:53:41 pm »
Elijah Craig is tasty.  Check out the whiskey thread, there's some good stuff over there.

My smoke last night was a La Finca.  Not certain of the size, maybe something like a No. 2 or a Churchill.  I've got a random lot of cigars in my humidor. 

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »
I am pretty new to cigars and was thinking about ordering a sampler kit from an online vendor to expand my horizons.  Any thoughts on this approach or even kit recommendations?  Just trying to figure out if this is a good idea or a waste of money...

-Tony

-Tony

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:40:33 pm »
Tony, my opinion is the best thing to do is fight me a good local shop that will match recommendations to your taste. You may a bit more per stick, but you won't get stuck with a bunch of garbage. Part of the cigar experience for me is the conversation at the shop leading up to smoking it.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:41:09 pm »
"Find a local shop" autocorrect fail

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:20:29 am »
Tony, my opinion is the best thing to do is fight me a good local shop that will match recommendations to your taste. You may a bit more per stick, but you won't get stuck with a bunch of garbage. Part of the cigar experience for me is the conversation at the shop leading up to smoking it.

A good shop with a knowledgeable person and a walk-in humidor can be an awesome experience.

Try a couple different styles to see what you like.  Once you have a handle on what you like, you can get some good deals from the on-line guys.  I've had some fun with the sampler packs, but they're also a lot like beer sampler packs.  A couple really nice ones, a couple decent ones, and some that just sit around waiting for someone with bizarre taste (a la Sam Adams Cherry Wheat).

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 08:22:03 am »

A good shop with a knowledgeable person and a walk-in humidor can be an awesome experience.

Try a couple different styles to see what you like.  Once you have a handle on what you like, you can get some good deals from the on-line guys.  I've had some fun with the sampler packs, but they're also a lot like beer sampler packs.  A couple really nice ones, a couple decent ones, and some that just sit around waiting for someone with bizarre taste (a la Sam Adams Cherry Wheat).

HAHAHA! Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is the Swisher Sweets of beer. :)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:45:36 am »
I am pretty new to cigars and was thinking about ordering a sampler kit from an online vendor to expand my horizons.  Any thoughts on this approach or even kit recommendations?  Just trying to figure out if this is a good idea or a waste of money...

-Tony

Since I didn't have a local cigar shop at the time, this is exactly what I did.

I think I spent ~$100 on a giant sampler, and another ~$50-60 on a decent humidor. Though not all of the cigars have been to my taste, my friends have enjoyed many that I wasn't looking forward to. It definitely introduced me to some of my favorites though, and I still have many of the cigars left.

That being said, I recently sprung for one of those cigar oasis digitally controlled humidifiers. Worth every penny, my cigars have never been happier.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:04:49 am »
Pretty much the only way to find good cigars is to smoke cigars.  It's kind of like beer that way.  What would be ideal is to take notes in the beginning.  That way you can remember what specific cigars you liked as well as trends.

But also pay attention to the flavor descriptions in the advertisements (it's a quick online check on your smart phone).  I hate pepper/spice and cedar notes, others like them.  I prefer lower flavor notes (I equate pepper/spice to high notes) like leather, nuttiness, chocolate, coffee, cream and the like.  I almost always smoke maduros (dark wrapper) which are almost always medium to full on the flavor range.

For me, lighter cigars can be excellent but they need to produce lots of smoke.  I hate puffing on a cigar and getting little whisps.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 09:08:14 am »
Pretty much the only way to find good cigars is to smoke cigars.  It's kind of like beer that way.  What would be ideal is to take notes in the beginning.  That way you can remember what specific cigars you liked as well as trends.

But also pay attention to the flavor descriptions in the advertisements (it's a quick online check on your smart phone).  I hate pepper/spice and cedar notes, others like them.  I prefer lower flavor notes (I equate pepper/spice to high notes) like leather, nuttiness, chocolate, coffee, cream and the like.  I almost always smoke maduros (dark wrapper) which are almost always medium to full on the flavor range.

For me, lighter cigars can be excellent but they need to produce lots of smoke.  I hate puffing on a cigar and getting little whisps.

Great advice. That's also the cool thing about a local shop. My guy knows my taste better than I do.