Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My DBF  (Read 1409 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
My DBF
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:08:36 am »
When we moved into the house in 1998 I was just starting to homebrew and I had my dorm fridge, purchased in 1985, as my DBF. As the hobby progressed I either purchased or was given a fridge from a friend and I used it for beer and fermentation. It died not long after and I purchased a fridge and an upright chest freezer which was for fermentation, and beer. Eventually I got an 8' long bottle cooler. We purchased a side-by-side and I think I gave away the garage fridge moving the house fridge out there. It was much more energy efficient having been bought in 1994. Well over time things have died. The bottle cooler died and I was sad for days. Loved that thing although it was an energy hog. The upright freezer crapped out and it had to go. I was left with my single fridge from 1994 and my wife started taking over space to where I no longer had a DBF.

Fast forward to last year when my wife wanted to ferment some kraut so I setup the old dorm fridge on a temp controller. So now at least I had something which wasn't ambient temps to store beer. Recently my wife reminded me we had never purchased a fridge for the kitchen which we remodeled in 2011. I broke down and purchased a fridge which was delivered yesterday and we moved our side-by-side to the garage. The beauty of it all is I now have my DBF back and of course if I needed to I could load up the side-by-side. My wife had been mentioning how much beer I had in the garage fridge so I made it a point to move here beers, wines, and ciders to the side-by-side. As it turns out she had almost as many beverages as I did in the DBF.

Anyway, I am celebrating the return of a DBF to the house. Sure I have some water and Gatorade in there as well as sausage casings, dry yeast, etc. But just having the fridge back is a wonderful feeling! :)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: My DBF
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:44 am »
Sounds about like my experience, although mine is on a much shorter timeline. Started with fermenting in a bucket with ice bottles, found a deal on a smallish chest freezer and a controller for fermentation, bought an abandoned side by side from one of our storage facilities, and finally got most of my hops out of the upright freezer in the garage. We have a small beverage fridge upstairs for beer, soda, and occasionally wine. The side by side is in basement with fridge side full of home brew while the freezer side is packed with hops. There are still a couple pounds of hops in the garage freezer. If any of these crap out on me, it will be a priority to replace, as i have become too accustomed to having this much space. Having a DBF is great, even though there is usually some soda in there. Cheers to having yours back MDixon.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: My DBF
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »
My wife had told me to stop purchasing beer a short while back and I had obliged. Tonight she told me I could release the hounds. OMG I am itching to head to the beer store!!!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!