Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenter Recommendations  (Read 9771 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Fermenter Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »
I also have a fast ferment conical and I actually stopped using it and went back to carboys.  I wasn't really very happy with it and I had problems with it getting clogged on the main port on the bottom.  On a few occasions I ended up racking out of the top of it because the bottom was just a brick and wouldn't flow out.  I did make some fine beer in it, but the valve situation was annoying and the fact that it is so big made it hard to move, and I had to build a new chamber for it. 

I had some sealing issue with it, but I didn't care much about that.  Half the time I just put some foil over my carboy openings anyway, just don't let dust and bugs get in and it will be fine.

All that said, lot of people like it and I think some people are adding a racking port near the bottom to get around the plugging issue. 

There is a new one out there called the catalyst.  I think it is a kickstarter thing at this point.  It is similar in concept to the fast ferment but a little different in implementation.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:32 pm »
I made the switch today I picked up a FastFerment conical brewing on Friday can't wait to try

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermenter Recommendations
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »
I have a ported plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. I like it.  But, the lid doesn't seal very well which is annoying.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »
I have a ported plastic Big Mouth Bubbler. I like it.  But, the lid doesn't seal very well which is annoying.
Get the new design lid for $5.99.  Seals good.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:53 am »

Well, it's not like I sit and look at it all day like I was a stoner staring at a Lava Lamp.  ;D 
[/quote]
Now I don't care who you are - that's funny!  ;D

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 08:12:10 am »
I use the Fermonster 7 gallon and 6 1/2 gallon Bigmouth Bubblers. I like the large openings in both when it comes time to clean or remove hop bags. 

The Bigmouth Bubbler has some dimpled areas which make it a little harder to clean, but a microfiber cloth helps. It also has a 2 piece lid, which some have problems with.

I like the fact that the Fermonster is much smoother and has a single piece closure. Personally, I prefer both to BetterBottles, if for nothing else the larger capacity. I find no need to use a blowoff on the Fermonster and seldom on the Bigmouth Bubblers. I ferment 5.5 gallons.
Bob - You reminded me about the Fermonster, Thanks.  I had forgotten about them - don't shop on MoreBeer all that much anymore.  I like the Fermonster - you summed up the benefits well.  I also like that they use #10 stoppers since I have a bunch from my BetterBottles.  I need to order some keezer parts from MoreBeer anyway.  Now to decide on the 6 or 7 gallon.  I'll probably go with the 7 gallon - space is nice and it's only a dollar more.

Thanks all for the input!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 10:29:23 am »
I have 2 problems with conicals, both related to cost.  I frequently have 3-5 batches fermenting at a time and that many conicals would be expensive.  As would a way to control fermemtation temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 10:31:47 am »
I have 2 problems with conicals, both related to cost.  I frequently have 3-5 batches fermenting at a time and that many conicals would be expensive.  As would a way to control fermemtation temp.

I understand that.  The only time (maybe twice) that I ever used a bucket to ferment was when I ran out of carboys and better bottles.

Unfortunately these days I don't brew as often, so I've rarely got more than two batches going at once.

But I still think the stainless brew buckets look pretty cool.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:37 am »

I understand that.  The only time (maybe twice) that I ever used a bucket to ferment was when I ran out of carboys and better bottles.

Unfortunately these days I don't brew as often, so I've rarely got more than two batches going at once.

They do, but $$$

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »

They do, but $$$

For the first time ever this past Spring I had 4 beers in fermenters at one time.  Two 6.5 gallon glass carboys and 2 buckets.  I've always liked the glass but am very, very, careful with them. 

The buckets work well but I always feel like I'm fighting the lids when I have open them.  I know that is a kind of whiny reason but it's mine.   ;)

I also admit to enjoying lifting the covers on my glass carboys and being able to see the activity.  It's easy and convenient to see how the process is going without have to fight to get the lid off.  I'm apparently too cheap (or forgetful) to buy the lid removal tool.  I don't dry hop very often so the narrow neck isn't much of a problem for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 02:02:00 pm »
That's weird...I don't have any trouble wiht the lids on mine.  Must be a different brand.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 02:06:16 pm »
That's weird...I don't have any trouble wiht the lids on mine.  Must be a different brand.

Or you've just got powerful hands...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 02:09:02 pm »

Or you've just got powerful hands...

Maybe, but I doubt it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

Fermenter Recommendations
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 02:11:25 pm »
Certainly does. The bucket I use for sanitizer takes a good pry to pull off using my knee as a leverage point as well as to hold it down. Others are much easier to pull off little by little or in one go.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:29:47 pm by Stevie »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 03:29:10 pm »
The bucket/lid combos I use fit super tight like Steve mentioned. It's tough to get the lid on or off. Seals well every time.
Jon H.