Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenter Recommendations  (Read 9791 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Fermenter Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:46 am »
the buckets never seem to loose a slight smell of prior batches

Oxyclean will cure that problem.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:27 am »
the buckets never seem to loose a slight smell of prior batches

Oxyclean will cure that problem.

And even it if doesn't, it doesn't matter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 09:59:09 am »
I heard about the Catalyst on one of the homewbrewing podcasts and checked it out on a whim.  That was a mistake - now I want one.

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/catalyst-beer-fermenter/

I have no need for it, I just think it would be cool to have one - or two.  Not as pricey as SS and a couple would fit into my retrofitted chest freezer/fermentation chamber. They are in their Kickstarter phase. And no, I have no affilation.

I have one Better Bottle, which I really like, and all the rest (5) are glass.  I am trying to get rid of all my glass and transition over to plastic.  After 19 years of homebrewing I'm tired of the heavy lifting and potential for injury from breakage. Not to mention the lost beer. I've been lucky all of these years.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2016, 01:06:56 pm »
Interesting idea. 

A conical that you can see into might ease the fears of some on how to dump the trub and yeast off without losing too much beer.  I admit it's one of questions I've always had (more of a "Hmmm" than a fear for me).

I'm still not in the market but I kind of like the idea.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 10:43:27 am »
I'm with Slowbrew on liking the ability to see what's going on, both in the fermenter and in the sump. Using wide mouth mason jars allows flexibility with regards to jar size, something the FF's lack. Most of the beers I've brewed only filled the sump ball of my FF's about 1/3 with yeast sediment/trub, the other 2/3 was wasted. Granted it's not a huge amount of waste, but it is still BEER. I might have to consider one of these someday.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2016, 10:54:56 am »
That catalyst seems pretty cool.  One of the things that many had concern with using the fast ferment conical was the air that you release into the beer when you swap out the container on the bottom.  I don't think that is a big deal, but it seems like the same thing would apply with the catalyst.  The other thing that people often have commented on is the lack of a sample port on the fast ferment, and the catalyst seems to be in the same boat.  I wonder if those concerns/feedback will come up with this one too.

In other news, I just ordered a couple Big Mouth Bubblers (6.5G plastic) since NB was having a sale that covered shipping.  I have been using glass carboys for 6 years, but there are some mineral deposits I can't get off of them and I always think about the images of people sliced up from them breaking.  I'll report back what I think of them after a couple batches.

Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »
The catalyst is just too big. Nearly 30" with an airlock. Won't fit in my freezer without a custom stand. Cool idea, just not practical for me.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
That was a big problem with the Fast Ferment as well.  I think that one was even taller than the catalyst.  I ended up rebuilding my ferment chamber to hold it and building a stand for it, which now that I don't use it anymore was kind of a waste.  At least now I can fit 2 carboys vertically in it (though probably not 2 big mouth bubblers).
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2016, 10:04:02 am »
That's weird...I don't have any trouble wiht the lids on mine.  Must be a different brand.

Or you've just got powerful hands...

Maybe, but I doubt it!

It's a well known fact that ukulele plucking is great exercise for powerful hand development.  ;) 
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 02:06:03 pm »
I use PET big mouth and more traditional #10 size bubblers from Northern Brewer.  I use them with BrewJacket gear to control the fermentation temp.  2 easy and real aid in beer flavor characteristics that are yeast driven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »
It's a well known fact that ukulele plucking is great exercise for powerful hand development.  ;)

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 07:38:54 pm »
That's weird...I don't have any trouble wiht the lids on mine.  Must be a different brand.

Or you've just got powerful hands...

Or I've broken too many parts of my hands over the years and/or I'm doing it wrong.  8^(

The buckets I currently have use lids that look like paint bucket or 5 gallon drywall mud buckets.  They seal well but are a bear to remove.

Paul

I wouldn't be able to open my buckets without my bucket-opener. I firmly pry, pry, pry for at least half the lid. then I gently lift off. I am drilling my buckets for spigots because that "pry, pry, pry" sloshes things around just enough that I get too much trub when siphoning. But otherwise: buckets. Cheap, functional, versatile.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 08:11:02 pm »
I've gone back and forth and still use both.  I bought a couple of the glass Big Mouth Bubblers, evo 1 and 2.  Both of mine seal well and are solid.  It's great being able to ferment in glass but also clean them well.  I also have four 6.5 gal plastic fermenters and I'll use those on the rare occasion when I have more than 2 batches going. 

The glass is heavier, but I sewed my own Brew-haulers with a padded foam bottom and lots of solid straps with hand-holds.  I like that they don't carry an odor from the previous batch, I get a solid window into the fermentation, and I just trust the glass more over plastic in terms of food safety/preference. 

I'm not going to get rid of my plastic anytime soon, but for now I prefer to be using glass and the Big Mouth Bubblers are working well for my needs. 

PS - That said, I think the Catalyst looks pretty sweet and I'd love to get my hands on one.  Hard to justify that expense though. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:15:53 pm by el_capitan »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 10:31:44 am »
That catalyst seems pretty cool.  One of the things that many had concern with using the fast ferment conical was the air that you release into the beer when you swap out the container on the bottom.  I don't think that is a big deal, but it seems like the same thing would apply with the catalyst.  The other thing that people often have commented on is the lack of a sample port on the fast ferment, and the catalyst seems to be in the same boat.  I wonder if those concerns/feedback will come up with this one too.

In other news, I just ordered a couple Big Mouth Bubblers (6.5G plastic) since NB was having a sale that covered shipping.  I have been using glass carboys for 6 years, but there are some mineral deposits I can't get off of them and I always think about the images of people sliced up from them breaking.  I'll report back what I think of them after a couple batches.
   I did see the other day - I think on More Beer - a retrofit kit for about $12 to install a sample port on the Fast Ferment conicals. The valve looked pretty cheesy though, considering the kit includes the Unibit for drilling the hole, and Unibits usually sell for about 8 or 10 bucks themselves, there probably wans't a lot of expense lavished on the valve.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline martylap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 07:11:07 pm »
Hi,

I did my second beer (all grain) yesterday and i use for my second time the bucket from the popular Alfred's Beer Equipment Kit. This morning, nothing was happen, no sign of fermentation, no bubbling. The problem was the seal because i put books on the lid of the bucket to make a pression and i have now a lot of activities in the airlock.

Next time, i will use carboy, no chance to take.

Question: In the book "How to brew" of John Palmer, he say "this is no a real problem; it probably won't affect the batch. Fix the seal, or get new lid next time" . What he try to say? If the seal is not good, the batch can do a good fermentation? The Co2 go out by the airlock or the seal doesn't matter?

Thanks for the answers.

Martin