Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenter Recommendations  (Read 9723 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermenter Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2016, 08:03:03 pm »
Hi,

I did my second beer (all grain) yesterday and i use for my second time the bucket from the popular Alfred's Beer Equipment Kit. This morning, nothing was happen, no sign of fermentation, no bubbling. The problem was the seal because i put books on the lid of the bucket to make a pression and i have now a lot of activities in the airlock.

Next time, i will use carboy, no chance to take.

Question: In the book "How to brew" of John Palmer, he say "this is no a real problem; it probably won't affect the batch. Fix the seal, or get new lid next time" . What he try to say? If the seal is not good, the batch can do a good fermentation? The Co2 go out by the airlock or the seal doesn't matter?

Thanks for the answers.

Martin
The seal doesn't matter during fermentation. You want to cover the fermenter during fermentation so wild yeast and other airborne bugs cannot drop from the air onto your fermenting wort. You also want to make sure there is no way for fruit flies to enter (if these exist in your area). After fermentation it is good to have a tight seal so that the beer stays under a blanket of co2 until bottling or kegging.

Offline martylap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2016, 08:12:41 pm »
Tx  alestateyall, this is a good explanation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Hi,

I did my second beer (all grain) yesterday and i use for my second time the bucket from the popular Alfred's Beer Equipment Kit. This morning, nothing was happen, no sign of fermentation, no bubbling. The problem was the seal because i put books on the lid of the bucket to make a pression and i have now a lot of activities in the airlock.

Next time, i will use carboy, no chance to take.

Question: In the book "How to brew" of John Palmer, he say "this is no a real problem; it probably won't affect the batch. Fix the seal, or get new lid next time" . What he try to say? If the seal is not good, the batch can do a good fermentation? The Co2 go out by the airlock or the seal doesn't matter?

Thanks for the answers.

Martin

You are correct.  The batch can ferment perfectly well even if the lid doesn't seal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell