Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How are my odds looking?  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: How are my odds looking?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 05:03:56 am »
+1 as well. I'm fortunate that I've never received a crappy looking tank from my local welding supply shop, they've all looked pretty much brand new.

Also, if you're ever in a pinch and need draft fittings and don't have a LHBS around, try the welding shop. Mine has a limited supply of manifold and some other draft beer parts.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »
Don't buy a new tank.  Get a used one and save a couple bucks.

You'll swap it out eventually anyway.

Hmm, this does appeal to my cheapness. And I'd rather buy something to replace my ailing Barley Crusher. I'll do more research.

I live in a huge homebrewing town, but the CO2 filling situation is pretty disheartening.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 06:07:48 am »
Do yourself a favor and find a place that just swaps out the tanks. Don't get all hung up on how they look. An old steel tank holds co2 just as well as a new aluminum one (granted the aluminum ones are lighter.) If you have a 5 lb tank you will be hard pressed to find a steel 5lb tank anyway. Surely there is a Sexton or other gas supply place near you that will swap tanks. Way better than waiting for them to be filled. And, these places will usually sell you a used tank for cheap.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 09:25:07 am »
Do yourself a favor and find a place that just swaps out the tanks. Don't get all hung up on how they look. An old steel tank holds co2 just as well as a new aluminum one (granted the aluminum ones are lighter.) If you have a 5 lb tank you will be hard pressed to find a steel 5lb tank anyway. Surely there is a Sexton or other gas supply place near you that will swap tanks. Way better than waiting for them to be filled. And, these places will usually sell you a used tank for cheap.

Yup.  I even got "lucky" once and they swapped out my 15lb steel tank for an aluminum one since they had no steel in stock. Lighter is nicer on the bigger tanks, but as far as looks you only look at it when you're hauling it in to get it refilled. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 09:36:11 am »

Yup.  I even got "lucky" once and they swapped out my 15lb steel tank for an aluminum one since they had no steel in stock. Lighter is nicer on the bigger tanks, but as far as looks you only look at it when you're hauling it in to get it refilled.

And if you swap em out fast enough and keep your eye on the date you will never get the surprise extra charge when the tank seal expires.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 09:44:51 am »

My airgas guy was cool and swapped me an aluminum for a steel when I asked. I had a good case as steal won't fit in my keezer without sacrificing a keg.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 11:15:43 am »
[quote author=majorvices link=topic=27559.msg359275#msg359275
And if you swap em out fast enough and keep your eye on the date you will never get the surprise extra charge when the tank seal expires.
[/quote]

I've got five tanks (long story) and almost invariably have one out of date. I've been trying to swap quicker to avoid the charge but last time they made sure to match the year on the date stamp when thy swapped. Foiled again!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »
The local Praxair doesn't charge for expired tanks.  A friend in our club who does construction found a bunch of ancient 20lb tanks on the job that the owners didn't want.  They swapped them out for no extra charge, no questions asked.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »

My airgas guy was cool and swapped me an aluminum for a steel when I asked. I had a good case as steal won't fit in my keezer without sacrificing a keg.

Interesting. The 20# steel ones are just slightly smaller in diameter than the aluminum ones so I need the steel one so it will fit better in my chest freezer.

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 08:16:29 pm »
Update, for those who may have the same question in the future: acquired a backup tank, and left the old tank on to run out. My two kegs were hit pretty hard for the BBQ, but I didn't run out of gas.

With my luck, I attribute all of this to having a backup tank.