Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with Wild Yeast beer  (Read 1353 times)

Offline tdalpert

• 1st Kit
Help with Wild Yeast beer
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:18:20 pm »
Hey all,

I'm working on a new product to help develop wild yeast beers by more easily isolating single strains. I was hoping somebody with more actual brewing experience could give me some direction/examples of great wild yeast recipes they've used so I can start to accumulate some recipes to try!

Thanks a bunch :)

If you're interested in my method you can check our kickstarter campaign at the link below. It's really cheap to contribute, only $9, so if you want to try a wild yeast brew I sincerely appreciate your support! I don't need a lot of backers to get this thing going, so each person means a lot!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612557369/beerological-wild-yeast-trap?ref=nav_search

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Help with Wild Yeast beer
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:39:34 am »
You're several years behind trying to get into that game and the information on how to buy and prepare plates and use a loop are already fairly well disseminated.

The language in the kickstarter is gimmicky. Yeast traps? Special yeast food? Come on, man. It's just plates, extract and agar.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tdalpert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:07:20 am »
Okay, thanks for the input, I can try to make it less gimmicky. You and I may know that but I don't want to assume everybody does and yet I want them to understand what something is without a science lesson.

It's definitely not a complicated idea, but it will cost about $300 to buy all the individual ingredients and I don't expect somebody interested in trying it would want to buy a 12 pack of plates, a large container of yeast extract or agar...  Even if you can get some in smaller containers, I'm just trying to make it more convenient and cheaper for people.

Again, thanks a lot for your opinions!  :D

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
You and I may know that but I don't want to assume everybody does and yet I want them to understand what something is without a science lesson.

It's definitely not a complicated idea, but it will cost about $300 to buy all the individual ingredients and I don't expect somebody interested in trying it would want to buy a 12 pack of plates, a large container of yeast extract or agar...  Even if you can get some in smaller containers, I'm just trying to make it more convenient and cheaper for people.

Again, thanks a lot for your opinions!  :D

It seemed to me like you have not put enough thought into who your target market group is. 
Q: The consumer would be whom?  What would they be doing with cultivated yeast? 
A: An experienced home brewer.  At least that is what I perceive to be the target audience for your project.

Then they would probably have a firm understanding of plates, extract, agar, a inoculation loop, and eventually slanting.  With or without the "science lesson" and I can't see that being $300... but maybe I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:28:09 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:41:22 am »
Then they would probably have a firm understanding of plates, extract, agar, a inoculation loop, and eventually slanting.  With or without the "science lesson" and I can't see that being $300... but maybe I am wrong.

At a minimum that info is already readily available in Yeast and Bootleg Biology sells similar kits at a higher price point but with a more robust kit.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing