Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraVienne / CaraRuby help...  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
CaraVienne / CaraRuby help...
« on: August 26, 2016, 10:27:27 am »
I have been using CaraVienne quite a bit lately.  My LHBS packed me up some grain yesterday and when I went to pick it up, she gave me CaraRuby instead of CaraVienne.  She said it's the same thing.  A brewer on my main board (and here too... neddles) mentioned that he thought it had a deeper, sweeter, more caramel-like character to it.  I'm using it in a sort of German Amber Lager where it only makes up 5% (8 ounes in 9.5 pounds of grain) of the grist.  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Should I dial it back a little?  I'm not looking for intense caramel character or flavor... just a smidge of that plus color like I would get with CaraVienne.  Cheers and thanks.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: CaraVienne / CaraRuby help...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:11:56 am »
They sold you on a similarity, and what they had on hand.  They both are a 18-25ish L and both contribute sweet caramel/toffeeish flavors.  I would not get to bent out of shape on it.  If you don't like it I would ask them to fix it for you on the next batch... seems fair to me anyway.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:20:35 am »
One of the oldest shops in the country operates in a similar manner. They typically carry one, maybe two grains of a similar lovibond rating. I don't shop there often enough to care. I mean I can see a newer shop or a shop that isn't dedicated to brewing doing this, but a very well established shop just seemed weird.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
My guess is that it will be just fine in this beer.  But I have been burned here and there thinking I could easily sub one thing for another and I don't want to keep doing that.  I have never used CaraRuby (17 years of brewing) so I'm just checking with anyone who has used both and give me a comparison.  Cheers & thanks Beerheads.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 11:59:08 am »
One of my favorite beers, Oakshire's Watershed IPA, uses CaraRuby, so I thought I'd give it a try.  VERY nice alternative to crystal.  Another one to look for is Great Western Sacchra 50.  It's kinda like a drier version of C50, more of a cross between Munich and crystal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:40:51 pm »
Apparently Cara-Ruby was originally Castle's Caramel-Vienna malt. They are both very close in color rating and appear to quite a similar malt. I think you should have no problem subbing it for Caravienne. If you are concerned about it being too overpowering, then maybe you might want to consider just adding 6 oz vs 8 in your 5 gallon batch. That way you will at least get familiar with the malt, and next time you use it, you will have a better idea where and how much to add.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
Thanks gang.  I was just getting comfortable with this and while I was getting my grains together for my brewday tomorrow I found an open bag of CaraVienne... so I'm using that in this batch but the CaraRuby will come into play eventually and when it does I'll consider it a solid sub based on the replies here.  Cheers Beerheads.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:18 am »
Which shop was it, l've been trying to source CaraRuby to take a shot at the Watershed recipe from Denny's book. None of my usual spots carry it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »
Which shop was it, l've been trying to source CaraRuby to take a shot at the Watershed recipe from Denny's book. None of my usual spots carry it.
I see you're local to me.  The shop that carries it is WHAT'S BREWING in Palatine.  I'm sure they ship so check out their site and see if you can get your hands on some.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago.