Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thank God it wasn't homebrew  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Thank God it wasn't homebrew
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:09 pm »
http://fox43.com/2017/09/07/massachusetts-man-charged-with-selling-brewed-beverages-without-license/

Selling beer and advertising it online? Come on. I'm just glad it wasn't homebrew he was selling, I feel like the overall perception of brewing today is pretty positive. When I was looking at houses a few years ago, the HOA for one has banned home brewing.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Thank God it wasn't homebrew
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:26 am »
   The HOA banned home brewing? Man, that's Draconian - and just plain stupid!
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:57 am »
   The HOA banned home brewing? Man, that's Draconian - and just plain stupid!
I hear they also banned dancing, laughing, and farting.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:56:36 am »
Damn, my HOA is pretty Draconian too, but homebrewing? That would be the week there'd be a realtor sign in my front yard.
Jon H.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »
I assume they banned outdoor brewing?  Good luck banning what I do on my stovetop and in my basement.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:15 am »
Funny how it lists collectible bottles.. I've seen Ebay posts of people selling cans of Heady Topper or Treehouse or whatever and they list the cans as "empty" and that you're buying the "can only" but you know damn well they are full, especially for 100$ a four pack.

The day after our first canning run, a couple four packs of our new 16 oz cans showed up on a craigslist type site.. "Trade me" or something like that? Not only illegal, but obviously someone who worked at the brewery because the cans hadn't even gone to the distributor yet.  Also, the brewery manager just happened to frequent this website and saw the posting...

There's some not smart people out there...
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:08 am »
HOAs can come up with some pretty weird rules. I could understand banning the propane burners on homes that are close together and all outdoor cooking is banned.

Maybe the community hated seeing people hanging out in their garages or pulling brewing equipment into the driveway. I know our HOA has some limits on what you can do in your driveway but mostly we just limit people from working on their cars in the driveway. (So you do it in your garage.)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:10:33 am »
I know our HOA has some limits on what you can do in your driveway but mostly we just limit people from working on their cars in the driveway. (So you do it in your garage.)

That's pretty draconian as well. I understand not wanting abandoned/not actively being worked on projects cluttering up the neighborhood, but sometimes you can't get it into the garage. Heck, this past week I had to replace the brake hardlines on my truck out in our condo parking lot, we have a garage but with only 3" clearance on either side of the truck to the garage door I wasn't trying it on just the e-brake.

Overall though, I'd image it's pretty much the same thing as always. Whether brewing, or working on cars, or pets, whatever, somebody was an idiot and ruined it for everyone else.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:15 am »
   And some people aint happy unless they're telling other people what they can, and can not do. That is not to suggest though that concern for the value of one's own property isn't justifiable.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!