Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit puree in primary or secondary  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Fruit puree in primary or secondary
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:19 am »
I previously brewed a Blood Orange Hefeweizen, and racked it on to 3# of blood orange puree in a secondary fermenter. The beer came out amazing. I am going to be brewing this again tomorrow, and have a quick question. I have switched from using a glass corboy for fermenting to a 60L Speidel. If I am able to add the puree to the Speidel as fermentation is winding down, with out spashing (ie: putting a sanitized hose on a funnel and putting it below the surface), could I just go ahead and add the puree in the primary, or would it still be best to rack it into a 5 gal carboy with the puree. I'm just wondering if it would help prevent possible contamination, or if it would have some negative effect on the finished beer by adding it to the primary just before it finishes up.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Fruit puree in primary or secondary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:28:34 am »
Fruiting in secondary glass carboys is probably the only thing I use glass carboys for any longer aside from small batch souring. If you have co2 you can purge the secondary but if you can't and you rack carefully the yeast will scavenge most of the o2.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »
I normally just add fruit to my speidel as part of the primary once fermentation has slowed or stopped.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:15:30 pm »
I normally just add fruit to my speidel as part of the primary once fermentation has slowed or stopped.
I'm pretty sure this is how I am going to do it.  I can get the puree in without having to move the fermenter or splashing the beer as it goes in.  It will also save me some time since I will be either doing it in the early morning before going to work, or late at night when I get home.  And, it's one less thing to clean  :P
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »
I guess my biggest concern is that you are going to have double the mess when you rack (yeast cake and fruit). I have had to use a tertiary vessel a few times with fruit because the fruit doesn't settle out like yeast and hops do usually.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:28 pm »
I guess my biggest concern is that you are going to have double the mess when you rack (yeast cake and fruit). I have had to use a tertiary vessel a few times with fruit because the fruit doesn't settle out like yeast and hops do usually.

Good point. I haven't had an issue but I have never used more than 3 lbs and do an extensive cold crash. Tomorrow I will be transferring to a secondary when adding fruit purée only because I plan to reuse the yeast.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:13:00 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale