Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Tankard Ale  (Read 5523 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Old Tankard Ale
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 06:07:59 pm »
Yeah I found it over the border here in Indiana at whitey's liquor on 50 sometime last summer I think, never again unfortunately
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 06:10:20 pm »
Yeah I found it over the border here in Indiana at whitey's liquor on 50 sometime last summer I think, never again unfortunately

I rarely see it up here, and it's fairly old when I do. I'd love to find some fresh.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 06:13:20 pm »
Last place I'd have thought to look for it!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 05:57:45 am »
This thread just made sense out of something I read on Facebook.

A guy at the club was at a contract brewery in Detroit last night named Brew Detroit. He said the bartender said they will be brewing Stroh's using the "original"recipe. When I read that, I saiD Stroh's is brand that is owned by Pabst. Why brew it there? If there is the contract litigation and such going on, I think I have an answer.

"Original" recipes always make me wonder how original. None of the hops listed for the old Tankard existed back in the 1930s.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:14 pm »

Don't read Facebook

A guy at the club was at a contract brewery in Detroit last night named Brew Detroit. He said the bartender said they will be brewing Stroh's using the "original"recipe. When I read that, I saiD Stroh's is brand that is owned by Pabst. Why brew it there? If there is the contract litigation and such going on, I think I have an answer.

"Original" recipes always make me wonder how original. None of the hops listed for the old Tankard existed back in the 1930s.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 07:14:09 am »

Don't read Facebook

Was that a statement that you are not on Facebook or an admonition that I should not?  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 08:14:20 am »
I picked up some of the OLD TANKARD a few weeks ago and really liked it.  Greg D. is really doing a bang up job with some of the legacy brews and my hat is off to him.  The Ballantine IPA has been pretty decent even though it is not much like the original brew I consumed so much of starting in the late '60s...different hops, considerably less aroma, and he apparently chose not to use the original yeast strain either...but it is still a very nicely balanced brew that's considerably better than a lot of what is out there today.  The re-introduction of the Burton Ale was a big surprise and a very solid brew.  That's one I definitely hope becomes a regular winter offering.

I like the new direction Pabst seems to be taking and I hope the OLD TANKARD becomes more widely available (I have yet to see it on draft anywhere here in NJ). 
It's really good to see a big brewer making a solid effort to make distinctive, quality brews...and succeeding so well at it.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 11:24:39 am »
I found it on tap last weekend, and it was even better than the canned product.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 10:21:30 am »
I like the new direction Pabst seems to be taking and I hope the OLD TANKARD becomes more widely available (I have yet to see it on draft anywhere here in NJ). 
It's really good to see a big brewer making a solid effort to make distinctive, quality brews...and succeeding so well at it.

I read today about their launch of Rainier Mountain Pale Ale in the Pacific Northwest
http://www.brewbound.com/news/pabst-brewing-launches-new-rainer-pale-mountain-ale-pacific-northwest

This seems like a really good niche to try to fill. I really like the fact they're bottling in 16oz pounders. That takes me back.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 12:14:23 pm »

I read today about their launch of Rainier Mountain Pale Ale in the Pacific Northwest
http://www.brewbound.com/news/pabst-brewing-launches-new-rainer-pale-mountain-ale-pacific-northwest

This seems like a really good niche to try to fill. I really like the fact they're bottling in 16oz pounders. That takes me back.

Woodinville Washington makes me wonder if they built a new brewery up there, or if they are contract brewing at Red Hook. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 06:21:07 am »
I picked up a can of Old Tankard and it really did not trip my trigger. It was quite malty with a decent bitterness, but nothing to write home about and it landed decidedly on the boring square. At $2 a can that would be $12 for a sixer and I'm not going to pay that for this beer. Of course if I see it on draft I'll try that to see the difference, but for me the can is a pass.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:12 am »
Woodinville Washington makes me wonder if they built a new brewery up there, or if they are contract brewing at Red Hook.

This came up in another thread and we found several articles suggesting they were contract brewing it in different areas of the country:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/03/16/pabst-rolls-out-old-tankard-ale-across-the-country.html

Here's an article that doesn't specifically mention that beer, but that several other Pabst beers are being brewed at a CBA brewery in Washington:

http://craftbrew.com/2016/01/11/craft-brew-alliance-and-pabst-brewing-company-announce-brewing-agreement/