Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Transfer kegged beer to another keg?  (Read 3886 times)

Offline lsteffens

• 1st Kit
Transfer kegged beer to another keg?
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:29:55 am »
For the life of me I can't find the leak, but a fully charged 5lb CO2 tank is tunning dry connected to one corny keg in less than two weeks with only 7lbs psi applied.  Here's my question: Can I transfer cold carbonated beer from one Corny Keg to a new Corny Keg that I know doesn't have any leaks?  I would appreciate any input.  Thanks.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Re: Transfer kegged beer to another keg?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:25 am »
Yes, you can transfer cold carbonated beer from one corny keg to another, but you have to make sure the other corny keg you are transferring the beer into is at equal pressure, or else the beer will foam.

Also, with the corny keg that leaks, you might want to try and fill up a spray bottle full of soapy water and spray for leaks. Any new bubbles that form will be a leak.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:04:21 am »
or if you dont trust your spray technique (which is pretty effective)  repressurize after transferring the beer off and just shove the thing in a bath of water.
Don AHA member

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 12:45:30 pm »
Very simple method is to purge and pressurize your empty keg with co2.  Hook up liquid line to liquid line, use the gas side on the empty keg as a purge valve to control the flow.  You can also use the blow off valve to control the flow as well.  I use this method to transfer beer into a clean keg after I have cold clarified (2nd Fermentation)
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline lsteffens

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
I had a similar problem and the leak was in 2 places. One was on post to the beer out  and the other was on a hose connection on my manifold. I killed two 20 pound tanks of CO2 in 6 weeks. Starsan works great as a leak detector and it is safe around you kegs.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties