Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amount priming sugar to use  (Read 9388 times)

Offline gtsmith1

• 1st Kit
Amount priming sugar to use
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:23 am »
So I've been yielding less than 5 gallons out of the last 2 batches I've produced.  In the end I have
figured I just need to add more water during my mashing and sparging processes.  However, I now
have a 2-2.5 gallon batch of a belgian pale ale that is currently ready for bottling.

What I'm wondering is if I need to cut the amount of priming sugar solution I would use in half
since I have half of what the normal batch should be.  Wouldn't this help prevent exploding
bottles?  I figured if I used the amount of priming sugar for a 5  gallon batch it would be too much.

Thanks,

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Amount priming sugar to use
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:29 am »
What I'm wondering is if I need to cut the amount of priming sugar solution I would use in half
since I have half of what the normal batch should be.  Wouldn't this help prevent exploding
bottles?  I figured if I used the amount of priming sugar for a 5  gallon batch it would be too much.

Thanks,

You're correct...use 1/2 as much sugar for a 1/2 size batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:48 am »
So I've been yielding less than 5 gallons out of the last 2 batches I've produced.  In the end I have
figured I just need to add more water during my mashing and sparging processes.  However, I now
have a 2-2.5 gallon batch of a belgian pale ale that is currently ready for bottling.

Thanks,

Correct!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gtsmith1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks!

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:21:42 am »
There are a number of priming rate calculators online that will help you dial in the correct amount of sugar to use at any volume.  They also account for the amount of residual CO2 already in solution from fermentation.  Here is one example:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Definitely do not use 1 lb of sugar as a friend of mine just told me he did for a 5 gallon batch!!!

:o :o :o
Dave Brush

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:51:01 pm »
I sure hope he is kegging LOL. He just made a batch of grenades in bottle form otherwise.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
I sure hope he is kegging LOL. He just made a batch of grenades in bottle form otherwise.

No, bottles.  I warned him to get his family to safety ASAP!!!

He had a bag of sugar laying around and assumed it was from a kit for priming so he added the whole thing!!!

I hope he believed me.   :'(
Dave Brush

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:12:10 pm »

Thanks,

You're correct...use 1/2 as much sugar for a 1/2 size batch.

How much water or beer would you boil the sugar in?  Cut that in half too?  Also, if I have a Bourbon Porter that finished at around 7.5% is it necessary to add champagne yeast at bottling?  If so, how much for a 3.5 gallon batch?
mmmm....beer

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:39:23 pm »
I don't even measure the water.  Maybe about a cup either way.  Just need enough to get it into solution.  I wouldn't add champagne yeast to any beer.  You can always add half a pack or so of US-05 or other dry yeast at bottling for bigger beers if you want to be on the safe side for carbonation.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beersavorer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »
I talked for an hour at the NHC about bottle conditioning...the amount of sugar to add is the critical part!  The standard amount of 2/3 cup corn sugar (aka dextrose) for 5 gallons usually works; if you only have 2.5 gallons, you would use 1/3 cup.  The amount of water you dissolve in is not too important--but it should be boiled to sterilize it (and cooled before adding to the bottling bucket).  If your beer finishes dryer, you'd need to add extra sugar; if it finishes sweeter (as measured with a hydrometer), add less sugar.  Commercial breweries dial in the sugar dosing with great accuracy; there's a way to try three or more sugar dosing concentrations in a 5 gallon batch.