Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opinions on SsBrewTech MashTun  (Read 2219 times)

Offline desi

• 1st Kit
Opinions on SsBrewTech MashTun
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:44:14 am »
Am thinking of getting the SsBrewTech Mash Tun to work along side two megapot 1.2 (HLT/BK).  some day I want to put a boilcoil in the megapots so I can go electric.

anyone feel that the SsBrewTech Mash Tun is not worth the $$$

-desi

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:16:21 am »
I've looked at that product briefly and the only benefits I could see over my current 10 gallon cooler are:

- Claims better insulation (though I only lose about 1F in 90 mins so not much of a selling point for me)

- Better filtering/drain placement (ostensibly higher lautering efficiency and less wasted space below the false bottom, but it's such a small amount I really don't care)

Curious to know if I'm missing anything....

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:03:37 pm »
My position: It is a solution to a problem I don't have. I use a rectangle cooler that I think I paid about $40 for with a bazooka tube and brew bag. I get great efficiency, never a stuck sparge, and clean up is a breeze.  I also lose maybe a degree or two over the entire mash.

I understand that the SS Infusion MLT cannot claim the same results based on user reviews I've read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:30:46 pm by BrewBama »

Offline swigginton

• 1st Kit
Re: Opinions on SsBrewTech MashTun
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:41:00 pm »
Missed this thread. Sorry late to the game.

We've got 3 SsBrewtech products in our BOP operation and had been selling their selling their kettles. The BOP units are the 20 gal Mash Tun and a 15 and 10 gal brew kettles. 

They are bright and shiny...and massively overpriced. Absolutely not worth the money.

Then we find out that they (on their own website) and Brewmaster (morebeer) are selling the Ss line direct to consumers and under cutting the local homebrew stores sales. That just broke the camel's back. At best we can get a 30% margin on this stuff. The manufacturer and their "exclusive wholesaler" are selling this product less than the retailer can. That's a great model.

We'll still use the BOP equipment but won't ever stock their product.

While it looks cool, a Coleman cooler with $30 worth of parts is doing just fine vs. a $440 20 gal InfuSsion Mash Tun. We don't see any meaningful increase in performance.

Save your money.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 09:35:07 am »
Here is another option: https://www.chapmanequipment.com/

I own one of their 20 gallon insulated Mash Tuns, and I love it.  I got in on their Kickstarter startup, so got it at a great price, but it is still cheaper than SsBrewtech.  This is in no way a slam on SsBrewtech.  I have one of their fermenters and love it.

Yes, a cooler will work, and it will be cheaper, but its kind of like marrying an unattractive woman - sure she'll get the job done, but well...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:18:23 am »
Here is another option: https://www.chapmanequipment.com/

They are having a huge sale right now too.  I've been waffling all week on a 15 gallon mash tun.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:46:07 pm »
Yes, a cooler will work, and it will be cheaper, but its kind of like marrying an unattractive woman - sure she'll get the job done, but well...

Yes, and sometimes the work harder to keep you around.