Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: steel cut oats in oatmeal stout  (Read 5999 times)

Offline gigolojoe

• 1st Kit
steel cut oats in oatmeal stout
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:47:38 pm »
Hi,
Do steel cut oats need to be precooked before adding to the mash or can they be added directly in the mash?
Thanks

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: steel cut oats in oatmeal stout
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »
Yes, you need to pre-cook. Old fashioned oats are the same as flaked.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
By old fashioned oats do you mean the stuff that comes in a round container with the funky pilgrim lookin' dude on the label that we made oatmeal out of? If so, how much of a potential issue are the sodium and other additives in good old oatmeal? A number of my old brewing books from 3 decades ago list the store-bought oatmeal as a normal adjunct, I have wondered lately what the current thinking among the modern brewing community was on this matter.

By the way, great stagename "Joe".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:50:04 pm by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
Old fashioned oats are just pre-gelatinized oats and should have zero sodium. Instant oats are a different beast, maybe they have sodium.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »
Minute or quick oats are also flaked, a little thinner than old fashioned.  Check the ingredient list to be sure tho'.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:31:16 pm »
I always thought that funky Pilgrim looking dude was Barbara Bush!

j/k

Old Fashioned oats are just pressure rolled (ie, flaked).  I guess they don't heat them as high as they do for the "Quick" version. I like eating the old fashioned ones better than either the instant or the quick.  They have better texture and flavor, IMHO.

As far as mashing them, I just add them to the mash, same as flaked wheat, flaked barley, or flaked corn.  The rolling process gets them hot enough so that they are gelatinized so you don't have to actually cook them (e.g cereal mash them) like you would with any other unmalted grain like rice or polenta.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:12:21 am »
By old fashioned oats do you mean the stuff that comes in a round container with the funky pilgrim lookin' dude on the label that we made oatmeal out of? If so, how much of a potential issue are the sodium and other additives in good old oatmeal? A number of my old brewing books from 3 decades ago list the store-bought oatmeal as a normal adjunct, I have wondered lately what the current thinking among the modern brewing community was on this matter.

By the way, great stagename "Joe".

I have two different brands of instant oatmeal in my kitchen, and neither contain any additional sodium in the labeled ingredients.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:49 am »
I don't currently have any of BB's old fashioned oats in the house so I couldn't check the ingredient list. I was pretty sure I had seen some stuff other than just oats when I checked a few months ago, but I am old and my memory is worse than questionable.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:24:13 pm »
I just checked the ingredients of my Barbara Bush Old Fashioned Oatmeal is:

Whole Grain Rolled Oats.

Nothing else.
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline craig64

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »
That's not a pilgrim it's a Quaker!!!    :o

but i suppose it does look like Barbara Bush.    :D

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »
I just checked the ingredients of my Barbara Bush Old Fashioned Oatmeal

Yeah, the likeness is striking (and unfortunate). 
Jon H.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 07:58:00 am »
I just checked the ingredients of my Barbara Bush Old Fashioned Oatmeal

Yeah, the likeness is striking (and unfortunate).

Quaker has a page describing what's in their oats and how they are processed. FWIW I've never cooked oats for a brew though I usually toast them lightly if it's for a stout. The only oats I know to have sugar in them are the flavored instant oats that come in packets.

http://www.quakeroats.com/about-quaker-oats/content/quaker-faq.aspx

As for Barbara B, that meme comparing her to the Quaker Oats image is based on a comment by a political pundit in response to a political opinion the former FLOTUS shared earlier this year. Responding to a woman sharing her opinion by criticizing her appearance is up there with a second grader responding to an opinion by calling someone a poopyhead. If I am going strong at 91 I won't care if I look like Mrs. Butterworth. You can see other, more flattering photos of BB by going to her Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Bush
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline moodyflyboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:24 pm »
We have never precooked.  Has always worked great.  Add with the rest of the grain bill.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 08:33:51 pm »
so has anyone tried cooking up the oats into a well cooked goo before adding it to the mash (cereal mash like)?  If you do that, does the efficiency of that portion of the grist bill improve?

I use flaked oats and barley all the time and usually they just kind of disappear in the mash.  When I'm doing the grainout after a brew day, I don't see the flaked stuff sitting in the grain, it looks like it has just dissolved away for the most part.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 05:47:24 pm »
'The Quaker Co. web site FAQ has a lot of good info regarding the oats:

http://www.quakeroats.com/about-quaker-oats/content/quaker-faq.aspx

Quote from: 'Quaker FAQ'

What is the difference between Quaker® Old Fashioned Oatmeal, Quick Quaker®, Quaker® Steel Cut Oats and Instant Quaker® Oatmeal?

Quaker® Old Fashioned Oats are whole oats that are rolled to flatten them.

Quick Quaker® Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

Steel Cut Oats are whole oats that have not been rolled into flakes. Instead, they are cut approximately into thirds. Cooking time is 30 minutes and the texture is heartier than rolled oats. Steel Cut Oats are also known as Scotch Oats, Pinhead Oats (in Great Britain because they resemble the size and shape of the head of a large pin) and Irish Oats.

Instant Quaker® Oats use the exact same oats, only they are rolled a little bit thinner and cut finer so that they cook very quickly.

All the types are equally nutritious because they supply all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ. It's the different size and shape of the oats that affects the cooking time and texture.

Additionally, most/many varieties have some vitamins, minerals and flavoring ingredients added.

BJCP GM3/Mead Judge