Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge vs. No Sparge | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 6004 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Batch Sparge vs. No Sparge | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:02 am »
What was the temp of the sparge?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:18:49 am »
The author acidified the sparge water by quite a bit. I wonder if that has anything to do with the haze.

That's not really a lot of 10% phosphoric acid.  According to BrunWater it will neutralize about 75 ppm of bicarbonates.  Plus, I don't see how a lower pH in the sparge would so anything but prevent tannin extraction.
Ah...  I was thinking 88% lactic.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:19 am »
I find the only 2 point gravity difference between batch and no sparge to be interesting. I expected a bigger difference in efficiency.

I too am intrigued by this.  Should be at least a 10% efficiency swing in my experience if not way more.  Otherwise I have to wonder if they did it right!  Brings the whole thing into question.

That said, I am not at all surprised that tasters could reliably detect some difference, given the benefit of the doubt that the no sparge truly was not sparged etc.

Dave, Dave, Dave.....these results, whether from Brulosophy or Experimental Brewing, should ALWAYS be in question!  All we can do is orovide some data points based on our investigation to point you in a direction to find out for yourself.  No one should take any of these as absolute gospel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 09:32:31 am »

The sparge volume (8.75 gal) being much larger than the mash volume (3.75) is non-optimal efficiency wise.

Doesn't matter a whole lot.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 09:33:08 am »

Doesn't matter.  Hotter sparge water does not extract more sugar.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:16 am »
Efficiency loss from skipping a sparge depends on how strong the beer is. Light beers use a small amount of grain, so loss of wort to grain absorption is smaller than for a strong beer.

I haven't found your first point to be true.  In a high gravity brew, you will lose a lot of efficiency even with a sparge but with no sparge or a "poor" sparge where I only pour a small amount of water over the grains for 1 minute my efficiency has never dropped below about 55% even for a big beer.

Also I too regularly do no sparge for small beers simply because my efficiency is already close to 90% with small beers so there's no point in making it any "worse" by taking it to 95% or more!  ;)

Re. the first point, it's a numbers thing. The efficiency loss comes from the wort left absorbed by the grain. The higher the ratio of grain to total liquor volume, the the greater the % loss of wort and hence the greater the drop in efficiency.

Re. second point, I find exactly the same. A few percent lost efficiency equates to very small extra cost that I don't think is worth the bother. I don't brew big beers but would probably sparge more often if I did.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:44 am »

My question relates to the reduced clarity of the batch sparge beer not to efficiency.  I've been cold sparging for no-boil beers for some time ....

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:25 am »

The sparge volume (8.75 gal) being much larger than the mash volume (3.75) is non-optimal efficiency wise.

Doesn't matter a whole lot.

It would have mattered if the numbers I listed were correct.  For the actual volumes, it didn't matter; the actual sparge volume was probably 5 gal and the mash volume 3.75 gal.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 11:03:54 am »
I find the only 2 point gravity difference between batch and no sparge to be interesting. I expected a bigger difference in efficiency.

I too am intrigued by this.  Should be at least a 10% efficiency swing in my experience if not way more.  Otherwise I have to wonder if they did it right!  Brings the whole thing into question.

That said, I am not at all surprised that tasters could reliably detect some difference, given the benefit of the doubt that the no sparge truly was not sparged etc.

Just to back you up on this, I did the calcs in my batch sparge simulator, which is based on Kai's work, using my typical settings. I estimated a gravity of 1.055 for the batch sparge and 1.050 for the no sparge.  So I got a 10% increase in gravity points for batch sparging.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

My question relates to the reduced clarity of the batch sparge beer not to efficiency.  I've been cold sparging for no-boil beers for some time ....

Sorry I misunderstood.  What's your thinking there?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 11:29:25 am »

Sorry I misunderstood.  What's your thinking there?
I was wondering if the sparge water temp could relate to the lack of clarity of the sparged batch although pH of sparge was controlled. Anyway,  I didn't see the sparge temp reported.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 11:46:25 am »
I was wondering if the sparge water temp could relate to the lack of clarity of the sparged batch although pH of sparge was controlled. Anyway,  I didn't see the sparge temp reported.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

In what way would the sparge temp have affected clarity?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 12:07:32 pm »
Higher temperature sparge water dissolves more tannins and presumably more silicates.  Tannins cause chill haze.  Anyway I may be over obsessing on one experiment.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 12:39:46 pm »
Higher temperature sparge water dissolves more tannins and presumably more silicates.  Tannins cause chill haze.  Anyway I may be over obsessing on one experiment.

Yeah, you may be!  :)  FWIW, I use 195ish sparge water and don't have those issues.  It may be more theoretical than actual.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »

Just to back you up on this, I did the calcs in my batch sparge simulator, which is based on Kai's work, using my typical settings. I estimated a gravity of 1.055 for the batch sparge and 1.050 for the no sparge.  So I got a 10% increase in gravity points for batch sparging.

I do a modified no-sparge process for all of my brews and typically experience low 60% efficiency with average gravity beers (1.050-1.055) and under 50% with gigantic brews (1.095+). FWIW.