Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Toasting flaked barley?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
Toasting flaked barley?
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or if you have any recommendations? Also, I've heard toasting it may have an effect on extract potential. Can someone shed some light on this too? Thanks for any help in advance!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Toasting flaked barley?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:49:20 pm »
I have toasted flaked oats in the oven. I will have to look up my notes. I remember stirring frequently and taking them out once the color just starts to darken. Worked really well in a brown ale I brewed.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:08:58 pm »
I have toasted flaked oats in the oven. I will have to look up my notes. I remember stirring frequently and taking them out once the color just starts to darken. Worked really well in a brown ale I brewed.
Awesome! I've heard of someone else stirring them in a pan until lightly browned - is that what you did? Think there'd be a difference with just laying them on a baking sheet and throwing them in the oven for a bit?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »
Awesome! I've heard of someone else stirring them in a pan until lightly browned - is that what you did? Think there'd be a difference with just laying them on a baking sheet and throwing them in the oven for a bit?

I did it in the oven in a foil lined pan. I believe the temp was somewhere between 300 and 350f.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale