Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge vs. No Sparge | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 6003 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Batch Sparge vs. No Sparge | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 02:20:57 pm »
I found it interesting that one sampler among the 14 who correctly identified the different beer then said that he perceived no taste difference...just dumb luck or what?  It shows we need more data points, but meanwhile I will continue to batch sparge as usual.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:15 pm »
Same volumes of water on both?
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:29 pm »
Dave, Dave, Dave.....these results, whether from Brulosophy or Experimental Brewing, should ALWAYS be in question!  All we can do is orovide some data points based on our investigation to point you in a direction to find out for yourself.  No one should take any of these as absolute gospel.

Precisely why I am already running my own experiments on this.  Yay.  Prove it to ourselves.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 12:34:00 am »
I found it interesting that one sampler among the 14 who correctly identified the different beer then said that he perceived no taste difference...just dumb luck or what?  It shows we need more data points, but meanwhile I will continue to batch sparge as usual.

Even if the two beers tasted identical you would expect about a third of the tasters to choose the odd one out by chance. That's part of the experiment design and doesn't undermine the result.

Also, you would expect about one in 20 experiments using a 95% significance test to return a significant result when there isn't grounds for one, hence need for caution interpreting results.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 12:20:31 pm »
Please keep in mind that it's only a single data point.  The key to validity in citizen science is repetition.  Don't take this, or most any experiment done by Brulosophy or Experimental Brewing, as the final word. For instance, the difference in clarity could be from a number of things.  A single trial is only the starting point, not the end.  Try it yourself and see what you find.

This isn't your historic opinion:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24330.msg310082#msg310082