how do i use this stuff

dump in
6 (100%)
boil up
0 (0%)
sanitize
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: ld carlson extract  (Read 2540 times)

Offline hiphophead

• Cellarman
ld carlson extract
« on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:35 pm »
how di i use thius stuff.  apricot flavor.  ready to rack into the secondary.  requires all of the 4 oz bottle.  should i just open up and dump or sanitize the whole bottle  then open and dump.  whats up?

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
Re: ld carlson extract
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:54 am »
Just add it to the bottling bucket before you bottle, or to the keg if you don't bottle.  No need to sanitize the bottle or flavoring itself.  I will say though, have you ever used these fruit flavored extracts before?  4 oz goes a very long way.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:33 am »
+1  A little goes a long way.  I would add about 1 oz at a time and sample.  I'd be surprised if you wanted more than half in there.  I did a Aprihop-ish beer.  An APA with pureed apricots in secondary and wanted just a touch more Apricot flavor than what the pureed apricots were giving me, so I added maybe an ounce (definitely less than half).  Just that little bit had a HUGE impact on the flavor of a dry-hopped beer.

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:10:48 am »
i've never heard of anyone santizing flavoring extract.

+1 to a little bit goes a long way

you will want to experiment though. i'd recommend taking a couple of measured samples from your carboy and adding different drop amounts, see which sample  you like best. do the math and extrapolate that over the whole batch size...and to answer your probable follow up question, yes you may end up doing like 60 drops from an eye dropper into your batch..but at least you'll have a good idea of what you're going to come out with...
Take it easy...