Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Force Carbing and Kegs  (Read 7088 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Force Carbing and Kegs
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 07:17:56 am »
The best info I've seen in one place on how to set a regulator, number of kegs a CO2 cylinder will dispense, temp and psi info, etc, etc: http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/doc/71/66/acef50e52d6bf4b196b71a0bf233.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a good guide worth consulting by keggers-to-be, and I see it includes the typical height of a variety of kegs and CO2 tanks. However, it doesn't have the dimensions or a picture of a tank with a regulator attached. In my case it didn't matter due to a huge [free] fridge and less than prolific brewing output, but I was still surprised at how much vertical height the tank + regulator takes up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kgs/27345067003/
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline diegov

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:33 am »
Hello, the method of carbonation is always a problem for me, since I do not always find the way to let the beer the same way.
It is that in some micro breweries use an online carbonation system consists of a pump and a small container as it moves across the beer and carbonated to a certain pressure and then from there goes straight to the barrel.
So it is not very expensive.

Someone knows some or where to buy it? Thanks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 09:44:06 am »
This chart is handy. Use the temp of your beer to choose a CO2 pressure that leaves you in the green band for most beers. Leave connected for 2 weeks. There are other methods but this is foolproof and easy for a new kegger.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Have you tried using a carbonation chart like this? It's very easy and accurate.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 10:05:23 am »
Hello, the method of carbonation is always a problem for me, since I do not always find the way to let the beer the same way.
It is that in some micro breweries use an online carbonation system consists of a pump and a small container as it moves across the beer and carbonated to a certain pressure and then from there goes straight to the barrel.

Blichmann's new carb thing-a-ma-bob is similar to commercial style.

Offline diegov

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 11:20:59 am »

Blichmann's new carb thing-a-ma-bob is similar to commercial style.

Thanks Stevie
I just look at it is excellent it is what I would like to buy, but I see that still is not for sale, is that correct? there are other brands?

Offline sprinter3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 11:38:11 am »
A couple of additional questions on this topic but a bit of explanation first.  I typically brew in 2 1/2 to 3 gallon partial mash batches as it gives me some flavor variety and a brew session only takes a few hours start to cleanup.  I have a few 1.75 gallon kegs that I like to keep filled and I fill those with as much of a batch as I can and then bottle the rest.  I force carbonate the kegs typically at basement room temp, 65ish, at 30PSI for a couple of days.  I don't store the kegs in the fridge but drink them pretty quickly (few weeks), especially during the summer.  Once cooled I keep it cold until its gone but if its just carbonated it stays at room temp.  Here are the questions:

1 - SHOULD I refrigerate a carbonated keg?  Why?

2 - What taste changes does the beer go through during the aging/conditioning process that would cause me to want to keep it in the keg and age a few weeks/months?  I know the short answer is to try to age one and give it a try but my palate is not that good and if its not that worth it then I'll just keep doing things the way I'm doing it.

Thanks.

Troy

Offline TacticalEnigma

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:56 am »
So I brewed my first batch and used a brewers best kit. I force carbed it at 20 psi while rocking it like a baby. My question is has anyone experienced any off flavors from doing this? It tasted a bit acidic which when I tasted it uncarbed it was delicious. Am I doing something wrong? Should I have just let it sit under pressure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »
Don't use a mini keg. Get a small ball lock keg.

I also agree with the above. No point in kegging just to bottle.
Except to enter comps or give bottles to your friends.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Backyard Bruise-master

• 1st Kit
  • Delusions of grandeur? You're steeping in it!
    • Backyard Bruise
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
1 - SHOULD I refrigerate a carbonated keg?  Why?

2 - What taste changes does the beer go through during the aging/conditioning process that would cause me to want to keep it in the keg and age a few weeks/months?  I know the short answer is to try to age one and give it a try but my palate is not that good and if its not that worth it then I'll just keep doing things the way I'm doing it.
I wish I could remember where I originally heard/read this, but as a general rule, refrigeration is a precursor to serving.  Leaving a bottle or keg in a (mostly) temperature-stable (and light-free for bottles) room is what I'd consider standard practice for "cellaring" a beer.  How long it can sit is dependent on the beer style--a good Hefe isn't known for its age, while a fine Barleywine has likely been sitting for at least 6 months to a year.  As it relates to homebrewing,  unless the beer is filtered, cellaring allows most things still suspended to settle out naturally and contribute to the flavor.  Refrigeration will shock yeast into settling out quickly and by extension, the cold will generally force other particulates to drop out as well.  I'm not patient enough to do an A/B/X to find out how flavor would be impacted.

This is strictly my opinion, but I don't think it makes a lick of difference if your beer in the keg is fully-carb'd or not, so long as the keg is properly purged.  In reality, if the keg is going to sit disconnected for a while, I think your main concern is to make sure the poppet valves are well-seated/sealed (30-odd psi for a 5gal corney.)
Beyond that, avoid wild temperature swings--the only allowed one is downward prior to serving.

It tasted a bit acidic which when I tasted it uncarbed it was delicious. Am I doing something wrong? Should I have just let it sit under pressure?
Acidic off-flavor would indicate an infection:  https://www.morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors
If it tasted ok just before kegging, perhaps the keg wasn't as sanitary as it could've been?
"You can't sanitize dirt."  The most-common places the crud can hide are in the liquid dip-tube, in the dip-tube posts, any of the seals, and just inside around the lid (where you can't see well.)
A carboy/keg washer and a big tub of PBW are a solid investment if you have many kegs.  One properly-sized tubing brush and a big, bristly bottle-brush will work on a budget.

To add to the conversation in general, when it comes to pin- vs ball-lock, stick with one style, but get what you can afford if prices are wildly different.  My preference is for ball-locks primarily because of tools.  A 7/8" deep-well socket-wrench is all you need to do gasket maintenance, whereas a pin-lock requires a modified socket to clear the pins.  I've read recently that it is possible to swap posts, but I obviously can't confirm this.
Also read this recently: PepsiCo used ball-lock, and Coke used pin.  A recent shift to bag-based dispensers means that reasonable used corney kegs can be had for $35-$45.

On the subject of CO2, I suggest taking a look at Northern Brewer's gas supplies.  I recently installed a 4-way distribution block in my Danby keg fridge.  Managing 3 corney kegs plus a beer gun is so much easier with independent shut-offs, removing all the Ts reduced the risk of leaking gas, and the tubing mess is greatly reduced.
.:Currently Brewing:.
Dreams of electric all-grain

.:In the Fermenter:.
H2O

.:On Tap:.
Traveling Salesman Mead (Pata Pata Dub)

.:Bottles:.
Traveling Salesman Mead
Traveling Salesman Mead (Lemon Drop Remix)
Neighborhood Bully Barleywine