Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Issues trying to make an IPA  (Read 8053 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Issues trying to make an IPA
« on: August 31, 2016, 12:36:35 pm »
So I am a partial mash brewer.  Ive been having issues trying to make a good IPA.  I first using water from my house (which I found was not good for beer).  So I switched to using 100% distilled water and using some gypsum when doing the partial mash.  However, my beers are still not coming out hoppy enough.  I always do 60 minute addition of bittering hop,  10 minute addition, and then a 20 minute hop steep once I cool the wort to 175.  When I do this method, it comes out hoppier than if I don't.  I was wondering if there is something else I am missing/doing wrong?  Do I need other additives besides the gypsum? Should I post my next recipe I am going to do? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.   

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Issues trying to make an IPA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »
What is your calculated ibu for the 60? Where are your dry hops?

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »
I always use Beersmith 2 for my recipe design and IBUs usually calculated around 80.  I usually dry hop for 5 days before bottling.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 12:46:29 pm »
So I am a partial mash brewer.  Ive been having issues trying to make a good IPA.  I first using water from my house (which I found was not good for beer).  So I switched to using 100% distilled water and using some gypsum when doing the partial mash.  However, my beers are still not coming out hoppy enough.  I always do 60 minute addition of bittering hop,  10 minute addition, and then a 20 minute hop steep once I cool the wort to 175.  When I do this method, it comes out hoppier than if I don't.  I was wondering if there is something else I am missing/doing wrong?  Do I need other additives besides the gypsum? Should I post my next recipe I am going to do? Thanks in advance for any advice or help.   

Post your recipe and process. You could add a tad more gypsum to accentuate hop character (but I wouldn't go over 2 tsp/5 gals). And you can always use more hops in the boil and/or the hop stand. Also, extending the amount of time you steep the hops makes a difference in hop intensity. Try 45 minutes next time, stirring every few minutes. Steve beat me to it about dry hops. 

Jon H.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »
I do a FWH, whirlpool and dry hop and it works for me.  I use the Bru'n water pale ale profile

Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:06 pm »
I don't know what he volume is, but I added about 15 grams of gypsum to my last IPA + 6 ish grams of Epsom salt. This is all-grain, so I don't know about adding Epsom salt to partial mash

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »
I don't know what he volume is, but I added about 15 grams of gypsum to my last IPA + 6 ish grams of Epsom salt. This is all-grain, so I don't know about adding Epsom salt to partial mash

Yeah, he'd be better off to up the hops instead of more gypsum, given the partial extract. I saw it but it didn't register. OP - does it need more bitterness? More late hop character? Both?
Jon H.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:59:28 pm »
I do a FWH, whirlpool and dry hop and it works for me.  I use the Bru'n water pale ale profile

I tried Bru'N water and couldnt follow it lol

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:34 pm »

Yeah, he'd be better off to up the hops instead of more gypsum, given the partial extract. I saw it but it didn't register. OP - does it need more bitterness? More late hop character? Both?

I used 16 ounces of hops in my last brew and it was lacking bitterness and hop character.  Thats why I posted this.   I will post my next recipe and try whatever is suggested

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 01:11:17 pm »
Partial Mash IPA 5 Gallon Recipe

Partial Mash Grain:
4lbs Golden Promise
0.5lbs Crystal 10L
0.5lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5lbs Vienna
1 tsp Gypsum

6.6 Pale Liquid Malt Extract

Hops:
60 minutes 1 ounce Warrior
10 minutes 1 ounce Amarillo
10 minutes 1 ounce Cascade
10 minutes 1 ounce Centennial

Cool wort to 175
2 ounces Amarillo
2 ounces Cascade
2 ounces Centennial

Dry Hop for 5 days
2 ounces Amarillo
2 ounces Cascade

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:20:03 pm by golfgod04 »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:24 pm »
Unfortunately, Bru'n Water is complicated enough to actually require a new user to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. After a user understands the flow of inputs and outputs, most say its very intuitive. You may need to spend more than 30 seconds.

Adding gypsum for an IPA is a good idea, but you do need to assess what the ending concentrations are. If you don't add enough, the effect may be insignificant. If you add too much, it may be too drying and the beer pH may have been driven too low (also bad for hop perception).
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 03:49:40 pm »
Unfortunately, Bru'n Water is complicated enough to actually require a new user to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

You also have help comments in practically every cell 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:43:05 pm »
Ive read bru'n water several times and been confused by it still, especially since i use 100% distilled water.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 09:13:18 pm »
Ive read bru'n water several times and been confused by it still, especially since i use 100% distilled water.
That makes it even easier as you could skip ahead to tab 3. But I don't know about using it with partial mash

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
Play around with it for about 30 minutes.  Read the cells and instructions.  Brew a beer with it.  Adjust if needed.  Repeat.