Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red isn't red.  (Read 2286 times)

Offline reino4

• 1st Kit
Red isn't red.
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:11:07 pm »
My first AG.
Made a 10 gallon batch of an Irish red recipe 3 weeks ago. Checked FG, batch is split in 2 carboys, target FG was 1.018. I measured 1.010, and 1.008 in the other. Color is very light, hardly red, taste is very bland.
I have a 15 gallon fermenter/bottling bucket i was going to combine them in, and then cold crash/gelatin.
Can I do anything at this point to improve the flavor? Dry hop for a couple days? I have an extra 1 oz. pack of cascade laying around, (will 1 oz affect 10 gallons}.  Someone said to get 2-5 lbs of specialty malts, steep, boil, add to wort and let sit for another couple weeks. Just not sure how to improve the flavor.
TIA.
Edited.....just realized this is in the wrong forum.  Sorry.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:28:02 pm by reino4 »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Red isn't red.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:17:42 pm »
It isn't red because you didn't use any dark roast grains. Patent or roasted barley in small quantities give a good red color. CaraRed is good as well.

Dry hopping might help. Won't know until you try. :)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Red isn't red.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:48:39 pm »
I would imagine that doing the steeping specialty grains and adding that into the finished beer will only serve to help you decide to pour it right down the drain.  Without going through the fermentation process I think you won't get anything like what you want.

The only options that I could think of to bring it back (assuming that the stuff you have isn't actually bad, just boring) would be to add another beer to it.  Maybe brew something pretty strong and thick and add that to it.  You could test the theory out, just go buy a bottle of something that you think would compliment it well and pour them together and see if you think it is worth bothering.  Actually, I had a keg of something that I thought was boring so I bought one of those large bottles of SN Torpedo IPA and poured that in the keg.  Made it much nicer and only took about 15 minutes to do.

Keep in mind, hop character and body will improve with appropriate carbonation.   
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:17 pm »
It isn't red because you didn't use any dark roast grains. Patent or roasted barley in small quantities give a good red color. CaraRed is good as well.

Dry hopping might help. Won't know until you try. :)

How do you know he didn't add any roasted grains to it? 

I would recommend to do nothing to the beer. You probably are missing out on some well needed carbonation to provide some aroma and flavor into your beer. Carbonate it, drink it, then make changes for your next brew session.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:57:35 pm »
He posted his recipe. There is some chocolate and special, but nothing that really drives red in my experience. Copper, Amber and Brown, but no red

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:59:02 pm »
He posted his recipe. There is some chocolate and special, but nothing that really drives red in my experience. Copper, Amber and Brown, but no red

+1.  I always liked 2 oz of roasted barley (5 gals) along with the crystal. Carared is nice, though.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:58 pm »

Sorry for that! Didn't see the posted recipe for some reason. my bad.