Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Issues trying to make an IPA  (Read 8014 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Issues trying to make an IPA
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:45 pm »
I agree. First time I just kinda winged it and hoped I got where I wanted to be. I was struggling to get everything as near to perfect as possible and after reading some on here. I rdwhahb'd it and loved my results. Get close on flavor and target the pH you want. After that, sample and plan out the profile for the next brew or the next iteration of that same brew. I use RO, so close to distilled. I have all the listed additions available to me, and really only ever use 2 ot 3 plus lactic acid if necessary. I don't feel that I hit the Munich or the Munich boiled profile dead on, but close enough when talking about the tiny additions RO or distilled need. After several brews with it, I would not start a brew day without thinking about Bru'NWater again. Just my $0.02
Edit to add: the important thing is to get your inputs correct: volumes, weights, colors, etc
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 06:38:29 am »
if it's an issue with the final pH you could us some acid to bring the pH down a couple points and see if that helps the hops.. pop. gypsum or epsom salts will also dissolve in cold beer so you could dose a sample with more sulfate and see if that helps.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:26 am »
I would think that recipe would make a pretty hoppy IPA.

Where does the FG end up at? Could there be an issue with too high of an FG? It may not be an issue for partial mash however I used to have to sub in some sugar when doing extract to make it more fermentable. You may want to do away with the crystal malt altogether. A drier finish may help the hops pop through more. Just a thought.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 08:39:50 am »
Play around with it for about 30 minutes.  Read the cells and instructions.  Brew a beer with it.  Adjust if needed.  Repeat.

Ive spent more than that trying to figure it out and no luck with partial mash using 100% distilled water

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 08:42:23 am »
I am going to try this recipe soon, but Im still not sure about the additives,  I cant find anything for partial mash and 100% distilled.  All I know is that what Ive been doing hasn't worked and figure I need to try something different or need more additives.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 09:46:14 am »
The issue is nobody can say what minerals have been added to your extract by the manufacture. That is why everybody is hesitant to tell you to jack the gypsum or Epsom way up.

Mort had a good recommendation to try adding either or both in small quantities to a finished beer to see if it improves. From there you can modify your additions.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 09:53:39 am »
I use Briess Pale Ale Liquid Malt extract and it says its 100% pale ale malt,  I know their extracts have other ingredients.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 10:30:35 am »
I use Briess Pale Ale Liquid Malt extract and it says its 100% pale ale malt,  I know their extracts have other ingredients.

But to produce that extract, the manufacturer likely added acid and/or water salts to hit a proper ph and therefore give you a good product. Each manufacturer likely does it differently. So it is hard to know what the optimal amount of gypsum might be. Overmineralized beer sucks.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 11:09:40 am »
Recipe looks good.  I am not a fan of low temp hopstand/pools.  Not enough flavor for me.  I like my IPAs "bold" and low temp stand doesn't cut it.  Maybe you're like me?  I do 30m hot.  Also, making an IPA that really you like is no simple feat.  It's one of those "enjoy the journey" things. 

PS - stir the stand as often as you can. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:48 pm »

But to produce that extract, the manufacturer likely added acid and/or water salts to hit a proper ph and therefore give you a good product. Each manufacturer likely does it differently. So it is hard to know what the optimal amount of gypsum might be. Overmineralized beer sucks.

whats your suggestion? dont add anything and hope it comes out right?  Or stop brewing IPA until I go all-grain?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 08:06:26 pm »
Try Morts recommendation. Dose some finished beer and see what it takes to improve. It's a solid idea. Both gypsum and epsom are readily dissolved in beer.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »
I think you should start with the IPA treadment that Brunwater specifies for you, then cut that down first time in 1/2, then "artillery" it until you like the flavor.

My belief is that the maltsters use minimal minerals, with the intent of hitting saccharification pH ranges, and little more.  They want folks to be able to brew light beers and too much mineral content can screw things up.  They want to open the door and get out of the way.

my .02
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Stevie

Issues trying to make an IPA
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:18 pm »
I think you should start with the IPA treadment that Brunwater specifies for you, then cut that down first time in 1/2, then "artillery" it until you like the flavor.

My belief is that the maltsters use minimal minerals, with the intent of hitting saccharification pH ranges, and little more.  They want folks to be able to brew light beers and too much mineral content can screw things up.  They want to open the door and get out of the way.

my .02
Martin once spoke of the water Briess uses. I don't remember much beyond its high enough to recommend low mineral water.

Found the thread. Loads of sodium. - https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17958.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:43:38 pm by Stevie »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 08:42:27 pm »
I just sent an email to a friend of mine who used to work at Briess.  It figures that his last day there was July 29. 
However, his auto-reply telling me he no longer works there gave contact info for Michael Scanzello, the Director of Brewing and Distilling. I just forwarded my question to him, and hopefully we'll get a "straight from the horse's mouth" answer soon.  :)
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 12:29:56 pm »
sounds like the basic problem the OP has with bru'n water is two fold:
1) how to manage 100% distilled
2) how to manage a partial mash situation

for part 1:
There is a spot where you can specify a dilution % with DI or RO water. select DI and set the percentage to 100% that will set all the base mineral levels in the water to near 0 (or around 8ppm for RO).

for part 2:
just use it to calculate the mash and sparge for the part of the recipe that is being mashed and sparged. Use only enough minerals to get good mash chemistry. don't worry about flavor at that point.

do one batch just like that. dissolve your extract in the resulting wort and dilute further to your desired boil volume. see how that works. then you can manipulate in the glass to get your taste just right and add the appropriate additions to the kettle next time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce