Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what to make with these hops  (Read 4038 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
what to make with these hops
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »
So I have become friendly with 47 hops.  They sent me 8 ounces of each of the following hops: Azacca, Jarrylo, Pekko, Sterling, and El Dorado.  I was thinking of using the Jarrylo, Pekko, Sterling in a farmhouse ale/ipa  and then using the Azacca and El Dorado in a pale ale/ipa.  How does that sound ? Any Suggestions? 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: what to make with these hops
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:02:56 pm »
That sounds like a good plan to me. I personally don't care for Jarrylo or El Dorado but I am sure they have their place in certain styles at certain amounts and paired with other hops. I may be alone in that feeling as I know a lot of people like El Dorado.

I believe I did an apa with azacca and jarrylo that didn't turn out great but I think a lot of the issues were related to the brewer his hop amounts/usage...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:23:29 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »
I think the plan is overall pretty good. A couple thoughts :

1/ I'm a hophead and rarely meet a hop that I can't stand in any beer. But one of those is Jarrylo. It has a strange phenolic banana character that is very strange in a hop. Been there both times I used it, one of which was a one gallon single hop APA (luckily only a gallon). The only beer that loosely comes to mind to pair it with is a hefe, but I don't like hop character to speak of in a hefe. Just my $0.02  .

2/ Azacca/El Dorado would work nicely in a APA/AIPA, but realize that El Dorado is much stronger. Blended evenly, El Dorado would dominate. I'd use 3:1  (Azacca: El Dorado) to get a nice balance of character.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »
Sterling makes a great pilsner.
I harvested a lot recently and have an imperial pilsner on my schedule for later in the year.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:04:48 pm »
I think the plan is overall pretty good. A couple thoughts :

1/ I'm a hophead and rarely meet a hop that I can't stand in any beer. But one of those is Jarrylo. It has a strange phenolic banana character that is very strange in a hop. Been there both times I used it, one of which was a one gallon single hop APA (luckily only a gallon). The only beer that loosely comes to mind to pair it with is a hefe, but I don't like hop character to speak of in a hefe. Just my $0.02  .

2/ Azacca/El Dorado would work nicely in a APA/AIPA, but realize that El Dorado is much stronger. Blended evenly, El Dorado would dominate. I'd use 3:1  (Azacca: El Dorado) to get a nice balance of character.

Ive heard people say that about Jarrylo.  I just figured trying it in a farmhouse would kind of hide any negative effect.  While 47hops didnt ask me to use all the hops, I just want to showcase what I can do with the hops. They've liked what I did in the past with ADHD 484.

Im a big fan of Azacca but didn't know anything about El Dorado. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:05:31 pm »
I harvested a lot recently and have an imperial pilsner on my schedule for later in the year.

thanks for the tip

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:28:58 pm »
I just made a Hoppy Blonde with Azacca as the bittering hop and at flameout.  It came out really nice.  I like Azacca, especially in conjunction with the standout Citrusy hops that we know and love.

FWIW, Total 28 IBUs, 1/4 oz Azacca at 60, 1 oz Amarillo @ 10, 1 oz Mosaic @ 5, then the rest of the Azacca at flameout.  1 oz each Amarallio and Mosaic dry hopped.

Oh, and I'll second Sterling as a great Pilsner hop (or as a replacement for a Noble hop for any German beer).

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:32 am »

thanks for the tip
Stirling has Saaz as one of the parents, and has Saaz qualities, but higher AA%. Good background reading here.

http://beerlegends.com/sterling-hops
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 08:56:44 am »
I can't say I've ever heard somebody really advocate for jarrylo. Lots of complaints about a plastic-y taste and some complaints about underwhelming flavor.

I still have the jarrylo from last year when the AHA gave them away to renew membership. Some are going into a Belgian pale ale with belma, aramis and triple perle. I'm hoping the gentle fruit flavors will play nicely and the blend will help hide some of the plastic flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 08:58:33 am »
I can't say I've ever heard somebody really advocate for jarrylo. Lots of complaints about a plastic-y taste and some complaints about underwhelming flavor.

I still have the jarrylo from last year when the AHA gave them away to renew membership. Some are going into a Belgian pale ale with belma, aramis and triple perle. I'm hoping the gentle fruit flavors will play nicely and the blend will help hide some of the plastic flavor.
thats why I was thinking of mixing jarrylo with pekko and sterling in a farmhouse ipa

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 08:33:17 am »

thats why I was thinking of mixing jarrylo with pekko and sterling in a farmhouse ipa

If you're not into the jarrylo for its flavor then why not just use it as a bittering addition?

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 08:38:58 pm »
+1 on the sterling in pils.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but...I'm over in Hermiston, OR and would love to try to grow some Sterling.  It sounds like it grows well for you.  Do you think it would do well over here?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Chronospa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 06:04:56 am »
I did this for a few beers after I gave up on it as a flavor hop. I still didn't like it. For my palate it comes across very harsh.  FWIW I have come to learn I have much less tolerance for bitterness than most people. So others may have more luck.

I ended up tossing the remaining 3/4 lb.

If you're not into the jarrylo for its flavor then why not just use it as a bittering addition?

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 10:02:12 am »
My initial impression of the BPA I brewed Friday is definitely the banana and pear people talked about. Not sure a plastic/phenolic flavor sticks out but it is more on the line of banana candy than banana--maybe that is it.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 10:03:36 am »
Don't want to hijack the thread, but...I'm over in Hermiston, OR and would love to try to grow some Sterling.  It sounds like it grows well for you.  Do you think it would do well over here?

I don't know where Hermiston is, but hops are grown all over the Pacific northwest.
You need 2-3 months of fairly sunny weather.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women