Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Treehouse Green hops??  (Read 8625 times)

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
Treehouse Green hops??
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:18 am »
Hey everyone,

First post on the forum. Just got into home brewing over the summer. I dove in head first brewing an all grain hazy NE style IPA. Came out pretty good considering it was my first go around. No off flavors, great hazy orange color, decent amount of tropics with just the right about of bittering. My two main complaints are lack of body (seemed rather thin/ not the chewy feel of treehouse or trillium) and would like more citrusy tropical taste and aroma. I want to brew a TH Green clone for my second batch. Who thinks they have a good idea of the hop schedule/build? I am thinking chinnok for bittering (TH claims NW hops) and heavy heavy Galaxy with some citra. Thoughts??

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Treehouse Green hops??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:43:45 am »
Based on my tasting of that beer, all I can say is that I don't think they used Chinook for bittering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 09:45:10 pm »
Based on my tasting of that beer, all I can say is that I don't think they used Chinook for bittering.
Could not agree more. Use something neutral.

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:57:46 am »
I had a few Treehouse including Green a couple weeks ago. I was struck with the smoothness of the bittering. If I was trying to duplicate it at home I would get all of the ibus from a whirlpool instead of putting any in the boil.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:58:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Chinnok was a shot in the dark. I know they use it for Sap and my thought was chinnok would provide that sort of harsh resiny dank bitter. I thought you don't really get any bitterness through whirl pooling? What would you all suggest as the bittering hop to achieve that type of bitterness that green has?

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:23:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Chinnok was a shot in the dark. I know they use it for Sap and my thought was chinnok would provide that sort of harsh resiny dank bitter. I thought you don't really get any bitterness through whirl pooling? What would you all suggest as the bittering hop to achieve that type of bitterness that green has?
You will get some bitterness from whirlpooling, especially if you don't cool the wort first. All of the treehouse beers I have had, with the exception of Eureka I think it was, have such a soft bitterness that I don't think I could reproduce it with a boil addition. I think a not too sweet wort allows for this light bittering.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »
Green is columbus bittering with galaxy and amarillo late hops and in the fermenter.

Sap uses chinook and simcoe. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:01 pm »
Sap uses chinook and simcoe.

I have an American brown on my schedule that uses chinook and simcoe.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women