Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 25  (Read 6795 times)

Big Monk

Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 25
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
Well I went ahead and made a Helles with the suggested process - to the extent I could comply.  The wort was noticeably tastier than typical with this recipe.  Looking forward to the final product.  With copper chilling, it may not retain the "It" or whatever the difference is, but at the wort stage, I liked the difference.

What points of the process did you diverge from?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 25
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2016, 06:43:09 am »
I batch sparged the mash by underletting. I also chilled with copper from preboil to mash and in the kettle post boil.  I transferred from mash tun to kettle by pump and underletting - likely introduced some O2 in that process. After final chilling to pitch temp I aerated by mix stir and then pitched the yeast immediately.

Remarkably clear wort without vorlaufing, so that was an exclusion of a step from the prior practice.

Considering getting a stainless chiller, but my Hydra is so fast that I slightly undershot my mash temp and had to heat and gently stir the mash to bring it back up to temp (kind of like a mini- Hockhurz). 

All in all it wasn't that much extra effort.  I just have to dial in the process with these things in mind.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"