Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Hop Schedule  (Read 4693 times)

Offline smitty2282

• 1st Kit
Re: IPA Hop Schedule
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 12:40:21 pm »
Ok, thanks, that helps. I realized that I completely forgot to add in the fact of dry hopping. Which was planning on doing 6-8 oz. Appreciate the info.

And that rate I mentioned would obviously give you an assertive, IPA-like flavor and aroma. I like it. But the intensity of hops I use plays a role in exactly how much I use, too.

To be truthful I'm trying to go after this beer http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/trillium-scaled-way-up-double-ipa/. Which definitely isn't that bitter at all, so trying to keep my IBU's around 60-70 so 2 oz a gallon might be a little too much. So might stick with the 8 oz in the whirlpool, and then dry hop with 8-10 oz.

Thing is, if you use a cool hopstand like I do (170F-ish), the IBUs might calculate in theory but you won't perceive much (if any ) added bitterness. Food for thought.

To be honest, I've never done that before. Tonight might be the right time to try. Do I start chilling right after the boil is over? Chill down to 170-180, toss in the hops, put the lid back on the pot, let sit for 20 minutes, then chill down to pitching temps?

Yeah, chill after flameout, to 175-170F, add your hops and stir thoroughly every few minutes. I go 45 mins for IPA, some go longer. Finish chilling after.

So per this, what is the point of the flameout? If I'm not adding any hops at the end of the boil, can't I just start chilling as soon as I turn the flame off and the boil is over?

Thanks for all the pointers, I'm still relatively new to the hobby.

So how did this come out? Scaled Way Up is probably the best IPA that ever came out of Trillium. I'd like to give this one a shot myself.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
IPA Hop Schedule
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
Not a NE IPA fan but I've only had Heady Topper.  From what I've heard and read maybe consider adding some dry hops during active fermentation and using a yeast such as Conan or Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III).  Also, I've found an ounce of magnum for the 60 min bittering addition is clean enough to allow the fruitiness of later hops to come through.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:08:57 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer