Author Topic: Pilsner  (Read 3534 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Pilsner
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »
This one uses Sterling all the way. I like it.
http://schellsbrewery.com/beer/pils/
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
With the low alpha's that continental noble hops are coming out with, I'd caution against using all noble in any hoppy or bittered brew. Supplementing the alpha content with an early dose of super-alpha hops like Magnum is wise, in my opinion.

I recently finished a Dusseldorf Alt that I bittered with only Spalt that had alpha on the order of 2.5%. It was something like 3 or 4 ounces of hops in a 5 gal batch. Even though almost all the hopping was at the bittering stage, there was a little green vegetal flavor in the beer. Next time, I'll figure out how much Spalt I would need to add if the alphas were at more typical level and only add that amount of Spalt to the kettle. Then I'd figure out their bittering contribution and make up for the deficiency with a dose of Magnum. That will keep the vegetal level down at the more typical amount.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »
I recently finished a Dusseldorf Alt that I bittered with only Spalt that had alpha on the order of 2.5%. It was something like 3 or 4 ounces of hops in a 5 gal batch. Even though almost all the hopping was at the bittering stage, there was a little green vegetal flavor in the beer. Next time, I'll figure out how much Spalt I would need to add if the alphas were at more typical level and only add that amount of Spalt to the kettle. Then I'd figure out their bittering contribution and make up for the deficiency with a dose of Magnum. That will keep the vegetal level down at the more typical amount.

Good idea. The last alt I brewed I did that with sterlings.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »
I agree on trying to bitter with 2.5% hops - for hops of that low AA I like to go 50/50 Magnum with the low AA hop. After bittering with noble hops in lagers for the last year or two, I'm convinced there is noble character that you get from just bittering with nobles that you just don't get from Magnum. Having said that, I don't want to bitter with 2.5 AA, hence the 50/50. But I've got some Mittelfrueh that comes in @ 5.9 AA and I use it to bitter, with no Magnum. Gives great character. 
Jon H.

Offline goschman

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »
The highest aa% noble hops I have got in the past couple years was tettnang at 3.6%. The spalt and hallertau are at 2.5% and below with the lowest at 1.6%. When bittering with them I have been supplementing with magnum.
On Tap/Bottled: Euro Pale, Hazeless Daze IPA, Vienna Lager, Dry Hopped Peach Cider       

Fermenting: Kurbis Marzen
Up Next: Red Rye, Hoppy Lager

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 05:49:22 PM »
I have been bittering with 3.9% Liberty lately.  I have only been targeting 17 IBU so the volumes in 3G batch have been reasonable.  Bumping to 25 IBU for a Festbier this weekend. I will try  50/50 Munich Liberty IBU split.

Offline santoch

• Brewmaster
  • North Bend, WA
    • View Profile
    • WAHA
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
Magnum is excellent for clean bittering.  Also, Perle is another that is under-appreciated as a bittering hop.  I do not hesitate to use it to supplement the noble varietals, especially when the total IBUs is going to be low and the Magnum is quite high, causing you to start measuring out very small amounts (on the order of 1/8 oz or less). I feel more comfortable accurately measuring 1/2 oz of Perle than 3/32 oz of Magnum.
Mt. Si Brewing Society
Washington Homebrewer's Association (WAHA)
BJCP GM2/Mead Judge

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »
Magnum is excellent for clean bittering.  Also, Perle is another that is under-appreciated as a bittering hop.  I do not hesitate to use it to supplement the noble varietals, especially when the total IBUs is going to be low and the Magnum is quite high, causing you to start measuring out very small amounts (on the order of 1/8 oz or less). I feel more comfortable accurately measuring 1/2 oz of Perle than 3/32 oz of Magnum.

Good call on the Perle. Just used some for a 60 minute addition in my Helles Exportbier.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »
good advice so far. I like sterling and perle. I also use merkur for bittering charge, and then all flameout for noble and about 40ibu.

Also liked a blend of carahell and caramunich 1 for total 3%, and rest of grain bill pils.

Go get it!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline goschman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
good advice so far. I like sterling and perle. I also use merkur for bittering charge, and then all flameout for noble and about 40ibu.

Also liked a blend of carahell and caramunich 1 for total 3%, and rest of grain bill pils.

Go get it!

Thanks Ken. I remember you brew a really good Pils. I probably won't get to this one for a bit but will probably be my next lager.
On Tap/Bottled: Euro Pale, Hazeless Daze IPA, Vienna Lager, Dry Hopped Peach Cider       

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 01:56:25 AM »
I grow Sterling and I really enjoy their clean, herbal character.  This year's crop was the best ever with lots of large, compact cones.  Usually they kind of struggle, but I think all the rain we got this year definitely helped them out, and I also added some homemade liquid fish fertilizer. 

Anyway, I've brewed couple batches of what I called "Sterling Pilsner Ale" which I know is not really a pilsner.  It's more of a hybrid ale, fermented very cool.  It uses all Sterling, and it's a really nice clean beer.  It seems that my homegrown Sterlings are more bitter than average though, so I've had to cut back the amounts a bit. 

Either way, all Sterling is not a bad way to go with that beer.  Also, if you ever tried New Belgium's 2 Below, that featured Sterling along with some other nice hops, and it was a really good clean beer. 

Offline goschman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2016, 02:14:33 AM »
I grow Sterling and I really enjoy their clean, herbal character.  This year's crop was the best ever with lots of large, compact cones.  Usually they kind of struggle, but I think all the rain we got this year definitely helped them out, and I also added some homemade liquid fish fertilizer. 

Anyway, I've brewed couple batches of what I called "Sterling Pilsner Ale" which I know is not really a pilsner.  It's more of a hybrid ale, fermented very cool.  It uses all Sterling, and it's a really nice clean beer.  It seems that my homegrown Sterlings are more bitter than average though, so I've had to cut back the amounts a bit. 

Either way, all Sterling is not a bad way to go with that beer.  Also, if you ever tried New Belgium's 2 Below, that featured Sterling along with some other nice hops, and it was a really good clean beer.

Interesting. I had 2 below years ago and like although I thought it was very similar to fat tire.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »
+1 to the sterling I think it will work out like a mittlefruh or spalt would.  good luck to ya

I use sterlings for Czech pilsner (with maybe a touch of saaz) and mittelfruh for German. They both turn out so well I've never wanted to try any other variety.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline goschman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
I still haven't brewed this. It will be my first lager of the season once the weather cools down a bit more so I have two batches scheduled ahead of it

As is pretty standard for me, it is hard to settle on traditional styles. I think the problem is I can't brew as much as I like so I start combining multiple ideas into one beer...

I am thinking about shifting this and throwing in some American hops. I still want it to be 'pilsneresque' but with some different hop attributes. I suppose it just becomes a generic hoppy lager. I have a couple of ounces of Ahtanum that I was thinking of throwing into the mix.

How does this look? I will get rid of the 20 min addition altogether and get most of my IBUs from the bittering addition. Is it a bad idea to dry hop?

~40 IBU
Magnum 60 min
1 oz Sterling/1 oz Ahtanum 5 min
1 oz Sterling/1 oz Ahtanum DH

I will either go the more traditional route or this direction depending on what I have on tap at the time.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
I still haven't brewed this. It will be my first lager of the season once the weather cools down a bit more so I have two batches scheduled ahead of it

As is pretty standard for me, it is hard to settle on traditional styles. I think the problem is I can't brew as much as I like so I start combining multiple ideas into one beer...

I am thinking about shifting this and throwing in some American hops. I still want it to be 'pilsneresque' but with some different hop attributes. I suppose it just becomes a generic hoppy lager. I have a couple of ounces of Ahtanum that I was thinking of throwing into the mix.

How does this look? I will get rid of the 20 min addition altogether and get most of my IBUs from the bittering addition. Is it a bad idea to dry hop?

~40 IBU
Magnum 60 min
1 oz Sterling/1 oz Ahtanum 5 min
1 oz Sterling/1 oz Ahtanum DH

I will either go the more traditional route or this direction depending on what I have on tap at the time.

Sounds good to me. I love the hoppy lager/IPL beers. I used the Pivo pils recipe from Matt Brynildson in BYO and it called for a small dry hop. Ahtanum is great dry hopped. I say go for it.
Jon H.