Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA, different from my expectations, switch from dank to citrus.  (Read 1592 times)

Offline guidoz83

• 1st Kit
IPA, different from my expectations, switch from dank to citrus.
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:30:16 am »
Hi all,

i brewed 10 days ago this recipe:
10,00 kg Extra Pale Malt - 2 Row (Simpson) (3,9 EBC) 64,9 %
3,00 kg Pilsner (DURST MALZ) (3,9 EBC) 19,5 %
2,00 kg Munich (DURST MALZ) (25,0 EBC) 13,0 %
0,20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3,9 EBC) 1,3 %
0,20 kg Crystal T50 (Simpsons) (100, EBC) 1,3 %

40,00 g Galaxy [14,00 %] - First Wort 75,0 min 30,2 IBUs
60,00 g Apollo [15,30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20,0 min 13,1 IBUs
60,00 g Centennial [10,00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20,0 min 8,5 IBUs
60,00 g Summit [17,20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20,0 min 13,3 IBUs

US West Coast Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M44)

Original Gravity: 1,075 SG
Final Gravity: 1,012 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 65,2 IBUs
Color: 12,6 EBC
Batch Size: 45,00 l
Boil Time: 75 min

I wanted to do really dank bomb, but after the primary fermentation the green beer turn good but maltier and too alcholic. The malt backbone it's strong, probabily for the % of munich malt. Good but i had other in mind, it remember me a sorta of Great Divide Hercules IIpa.
Unfortunately, Galaxy this time it's less tropical, and Summit it's too herbal without citrus.
I drastically change kind of hop in dry hopping, switch in a strong citrus type.
Simcoe and Amarillo in amount of 1:1 (total 100 grams Simcoe, and 100 grams Amarillo), supported with a handful of Zeus (20 grams). I would like to split this in two times the dry hop. 3 days for 1st (50:50:10), and 3 for second (50:50:10), then i fining and chill the kegs.

It's good or have you any suggestions or idea?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:06:07 am by guidoz83 »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: IPA, different from my expectations, switch from dank to citrus.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:12:53 am »
10 days ago? The beer is still very young and could change drastically. I would wait a couple of weeks then re-evaluate which direction you want to go with it.

If you want to get tropical from the galaxy, I suggest putting it with your whirlpool hops instead of bittering with it and moving the Apollo to bittering.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline guidoz83

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:39:54 am »
hi Goshman, thanx for your answer.
Yeah i know it's very young but i also know when the flavor and aroma of Summit is completely lost.
In other words, if i would like to dry hop with the Summit i've at home, but this, had lost his flavor/aroma, simply i switch with other hop i've at home. :)
For next batch, i would make more neutral body, replaced completely Munich with other Extra Pale malt, and a little bit of Vienna (4%), maintain Crystal e Cara-Pils at minimum %, and change the hops. I've already buy new hop: Comet, from other seller, i think it's better which storage than Summit i've bought. :)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:52:36 am »
hi Goshman, thanx for your answer.
Yeah i know it's very young but i also know when the flavor and aroma of Summit is completely lost.
In other words, if i would like to dry hop with the Summit i've at home, but this, had lost his flavor/aroma, simply i switch with other hop i've at home. :)
For next batch, i would make more neutral body, replaced completely Munich with other Extra Pale malt, and a little bit of Vienna (4%), maintain Crystal e Cara-Pils at minimum %, and change the hops. I've already buy new hop: Comet, from other seller, i think it's better which storage than Summit i've bought. :)

I have an IPA type beer on now that is Comet, Cascade, and Ahtanum. My impression of Comet in larger doses is that it is pretty dank and definitely overpowering the other two which were used at the same amount. When used with a lighter hand, I get more fruit tones and some pineapple...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline guidoz83

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:54:27 am »
Thank you Goschman for your impression to Comet hop! :)