Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling a Saison and other higher carbnated beers  (Read 2215 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Bottling a Saison and other higher carbnated beers
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
I want to enter my Saison into a competition. It will be my first.
I have it carbonated to 3.4. Do I need to buy special bottles to withstand this much pressure? I don't want any dangerous accidents.
I don't want to buy thicker bottles and a new capper if I don't have  to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:45:14 pm by banjo-guy »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Bottling a Saison and other higher carbnated beers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:00:39 am »
You need thicker bottles. IME, I have lost some bottles when carbonated at 3.0 v/v.  I have not had to get a new capper for thicker bottles but I suppose that depends on the bottles you buy.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:30 am »
You are better off using thicker bottles, especially if you are shipping them where the bottles may be handled roughly. Some of the commercial longnecks will hold this pressure but I try to avoid putting higher carbonated beers into standard bottles.

There are some good options in the 12oz/375ml range. The bottle shape used by Almanac and several other American sour brewers can withstand a lot of pressure. The stubby Belgian 375ml bottles are good as well. Some Belgian brewers also use longneck bottles that have a smoother curve from the body to the neck that hold pressure well. Leffe uses these bottles. All will accept a 26mm cap. If you're just bottling a handful of bottles I'd think about getting some commercial bottles and enjoying the contents to reuse the bottles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:36:34 am »
Boulevard's 'Tank 7' would be another good commercial option for thicker 12 oz bottles that's usually not too hard to find. You get very tasty beer with the bottle as a bonus.  ;)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:53 pm »
Thanks! It's always great to get bottles with free beer in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:14 pm »
I have had good success bottling from the keg with a beergun between 3 and 4 vol CO2. Granted some is most likely lost during the bottling process, but I have achieved close without bottle breakage even in the crappy homebrew shop bottles.

I do agree with others here that rough handling can play a role in breakage, but it can be done. Also helps if bottles can remain cold for most of the storage time prior to being judged.