Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool Hops Addition Terminology Question  (Read 5017 times)

Offline dswhelan

• 1st Kit
Whirlpool Hops Addition Terminology Question
« on: September 02, 2016, 08:18:43 pm »
Can someone help me understand exactly what the designation (whirlpool 10 min) means?   I see this on Amahl Turczyn's recent Zymurgy Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin Clone recipe.

Does the "10 minute" designation refer to the length of the whirlpool, or a time delay after starting the whirlpool?

I find articles suggesting different approaches for homebrewers with respect to whirlpool hop additions, including maintaining a flame on but lowering the wort temperature to around 200 degrees, and some suggesting much lower temperatures.

My standard practice has been to start my chiller soon after flameout and to use a spoon to whirlpool as a means to get the wort to cool faster.   

My assumption for this recipe is that I should add the whirlpool hops at the beginning of the whirlpool and maintain the whirlpool for 10 minutes before chilling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Whirlpool Hops Addition Terminology Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 04:38:58 am »
Welcome to the forum.  You are right that there are many ways to do this and you should try out different things to see what you like, but typically a whirlpool occurs at flame out prior to chilling.  The 10 minutes noted would be the length of the stand (I.e., the "rest" at that temp).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dswhelan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
Thank you!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:42 am »
The 10 minutes noted would be the length of the stand (I.e., the "rest" at that temp).
Yeah, if the recipe said to whirlpool for 10 minutes without a temperature, it's incomplete. I would take that to mean tossing in the hops at flame-out and waiting 10 minutes before starting to chill. The problem with doing that alone is that you'll still be pulling significant bitterness and losing the aroma/flavor you'd get with a lower temperature whirlpool.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:03:41 am »
Many brewers have been bringing the whirlpool temp down to about 175° first, adding the hops and leaving them in the whirpool for 10 minutes (also called a 'hopstand', I believe) and then continuing the chill after that.  But I agree... without a little more detail, the information is not complete.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
adding the hops and leaving them in the whirpool for 10 minutes (also called a 'hopstand', I believe)
Not an expert, but I think that whirlpooling can be done can be done with or without hops. Whereas, like it says, a hop stand needs hops and can be done with or without whirlpooling (using a pump or any other method to create the whirlpool).

Whirlpool hopping has the advantage of keeping the hops in suspension and extracting more of the flavor and aroma and can even be done with a spoon. Even if you're not whirlpooling, the stand part of hopstand, is the length of time you hold a temperature.

At least that's my take on it?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 10:27:10 am »
adding the hops and leaving them in the whirpool for 10 minutes (also called a 'hopstand', I believe)
Not an expert, but I think that whirlpooling can be done can be done with or without hops. Whereas, like it says, a hop stand needs hops and can be done with or without whirlpooling (using a pump or any other method to create the whirlpool).

Whirlpool hopping has the advantage of keeping the hops in suspension and extracting more of the flavor and aroma and can even be done with a spoon. Even if you're not whirlpooling, the stand part of hopstand, is the length of time you hold a temperature.

At least that's my take on it?
Very possible and thanks for the clarification.  I am not a hophead although I do love my pale ales.  I have been in the habit of adding hops during the last 5 minutes, adding a flameout, putting the lid on and just letting the hops "steep" and also chilling to 175°, adding hops, stirring with an SS spoon and eventually continuing the chill.  People who are more inclined to be hopheads have a lot of terminology and gadgets to get their IPAs where they want them. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:33 am »
  I have been in the habit of adding hops during the last 5 minutes, adding a flameout, putting the lid on and just letting the hops "steep" and also chilling to 175°, adding hops, stirring with an SS spoon and eventually continuing the chill.  People who are more inclined to be hopheads have a lot of terminology and gadgets to get their IPAs where they want them. 

FWIW I'm a hophead and that's pretty much exactly what I do.

Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »
IMO 10m is a rather short WP for IPA.  Probably the shortest I've seen actually.  I would be worried 10m at 175 might be barely be detectable.  I usually do 30m hot.  I did 15m hot but was really subdued. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 12:58:11 pm »
IMO 10m is a rather short WP for IPA.  Probably the shortest I've seen actually.  I would be worried 10m at 175 might be barely be detectable.  I usually do 30m hot.  I did 15m hot but was really subdued. 

I like 20-30 mins for APA, 45-60 mins for AIPA, stirring frequently. I agree that 10 mins just wouldn't get it done for AIPA.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:35:31 pm »

I like 20-30 mins for APA, 45-60 mins for AIPA, stirring frequently. I agree that 10 mins just wouldn't get it done for AIPA.

What's your take on 30m high temp vs 60m low temp?  I found them similar and stuck to short one.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 01:46:32 pm »
What's your take on 30m high temp vs 60m low temp?  I found them similar and stuck to short one.

Depends on the temps you mean. I do mine in the 170-175F range for the most part. As for the lower 120F stand some guys are doing, I haven't done one yet but plan to on an upcoming APA. From what I've read and brewers I've talked to, a longer stand @ 120F is likely beneficial as extraction of compounds can take longer as temps go down (think dry hopping). Regardless of temp, I like longer for IPA, shorter for APA.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:21 pm »
I forgot that 120F is the new low temp...  I meant 30m >175F/no chill vs 60m <175F/chilled. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:35 pm »
I forgot that 120F is the new low temp...  I meant 30m >175F/no chill vs 60m <175F/chilled. 

Gotcha. Truthfully I settled at 170ish mostly because it's cool enough not to add extra bitterness. I didn't see a lot of difference in extraction time between flameout and 170F.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »
This is to be a clone of a commercial beer. Does anyone know a commercial brewery that has a chiller between the kettle and whirlpool? I don't, but it could be done.

So I think the 10 minutes at high temp could be fine for cloning this beer, but maybe a little short.

Edit - as homebrewers we can do what we want.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!