Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good beers for high fermentation temps  (Read 5993 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Good beers for high fermentation temps
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:23:24 pm »
You can't go wrong with a Saison. 
Saison yeast love the higher temps that would ruin other beers (produced by other yeast strains).

A Florida Brewery (Saint Somewhere) does quite well with a low-tech approach (warehouse, no ferm temp control, volunteers helping on bottling day for the price of beer and lunch, and 6 bottles to take home, etc.). 
A great story of a homebrewer, who just started in 2001, turning pro: 
http://www.saintsomewherebrewing.com/
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2010/06/07/saint-somewhere-shines-at-savor/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:30:20 pm by richardt »

Offline glassbrass440

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 03:58:11 pm »
I know many won't agree but IPA.  I made the Brewer's Best IPA kit and fermented around 70-72 and it turned out great.  I think the slight fruitiness from the warmer ferm balanced out the bitterness.
-Garth

On deck: Nordic Pils
Primary: Roggenbier - September
Secondary1: None
Secondary2: None
3GalExperimental: None
Bottled: Generic Pale Ale - Mid July; Pineapple Pale Ale -Mid July
Drinking: Mountain-King Maibock; London Fog Stout

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 05:21:56 pm »
I don't think 70-72 degree is too high for, say, the Chico strain - assuming you mean fermentation temps, not ambient temp. Its pretty clean. IME I prefer it cooler, but 70 degrees works with that (and many other) strains. The problem is my house is 78 degrees this time of year. No way I could ferment without some sort fo temp control option.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
I don't know if you've already decided, but any Belgian strain works great, that's what I brew in the summer.  I've brewed some great Belgian Pale Ales that go great at weddings!
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline nppeders

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:50 am »
I'd definitely go with a Saison using the Wyeast French Saison yeast.  It's readily available,  last year I used it at around 78 degrees and it fermented out in a week and was an amazingly flavorful summer beer.  This year, I did an split batch experiment with French Saison yeast vs. Safbrew T-58.   At 68 degrees, (on the low end), the French Saison yeast came down from 1.050 to 1.002!  And the Safbrew T-58 came down to 1.008.   That French Saison yeast gives you an amazing dry finish everytime with a complex fruity flavor profile, and a slick smooth mouthfeel!   

Wyeast French Saison is great at normal temperatures, but is amazing at 78-80+!!!!   Good luck!

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 09:03:53 am »

I don't know if you've already decided, but any Belgian strain works great, that's what I brew in the summer.  I've brewed some great Belgian Pale Ales that go great at weddings!

Right now I'm planning on brewing two beers.  An IPA in a swamp cooler and a saison at basement temp which has been holding at around 76 + - a  degree for a week.  Whichever one comes out better will be the one for the wedding.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
My recommendation for the saison or any belgian you plan on fermenting at a warmer temp is to at least start it out in the high 60s, or very, very low 70s, and hold it for a day or two. Then feel free to let it climb to the warmer temps. At the very least cool the wort down to at least 70 before pitching. While many belgians and saisons are fermented warm (some very, very warm!) most are pitched and started off in the 60s. For more examples pick us a copy of Framhouse Ales or Brew Like a Monk. Two great books on these styles.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:02 am »
Be creative. Yeah, the saison yeast works well for high-temp fermentation, but just because you use a saison yeast doesn't mean you have to attempt a traditional saison.