Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Disappointed with WLP300  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Disappointed with WLP300
« on: September 03, 2016, 07:47:13 am »
I brewed another batch of my Blood Orange Hefeweizen and decided to use WLP300 this time since I keep reading about how this is a great Hefe yeast.  I under pitched, according to BeerSmith, using 2 packs instead of the recommended 3 based on the yeast age, no starter, and no aeration, hoping to stress the yeast to get more banana.  I fermented at 68F for the first couple of days and then raised the temp to 70F.  I took a hydrometer sample today, 7 days after pitching, and I had reached the predicted final gravity.  OG was 1.047 and FG is at 1.011.  I plan to add the 3# of Blood Orange Puree tomorrow.

At this point, it has none of the character I would expect of a Hefeweizen.  I get no banana at all, and little to no clove.  I would describe it as maybe a slight spiciness.  Not at all what I would expect from a Hefeweizen.  I raised the temp to 74F, hoping that once it begins to ferment the sugars in the puree, that the higher temp will bring out some character from this yeast.  Funny thing is, the fermentation chamber smells like someone set off a banana bomb in it, just none of it is in the beer.

Based off the way it tastes now, I will be going back to WB-06 when I brew this again.  I had high hopes for the WLP300 based on reviews, but it seems to be a very disappointing yeast. 
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Disappointed with WLP300
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »
I under pitched, according to BeerSmith, using 2 packs instead of the recommended 3 based on the yeast age

You didn't underpitch by much.  Instead of pitching 67% the recommended quantity, try just 10-12% and see if you get the same results.  I haven't done this yet myself but friends have gotten great results with it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »
I haven't used that strain in several years but I remember it throwing tons of isoamyl acetate (read: banana ester bomb). The way you handle these yeasts is extremely important. I personally would have handled the fermentation way, way differently. Underpitching and underaerating is actually not the way to handle these strains (though you do want to pitch near the low end.) If you have excessive yeast growth it actually creates more fusels than it does esters. And underpitching can cause excessive yeast growth. WB-06 is a dry yeast and it requires a lot less of a sophisticated touch. You may find the results you are looking for if you handle the WLP300 in a more "traditional" manor.

Offline kesweeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:25:13 am »
Another option is to perform a ferulic acid rest. Hold the mash at 113 for 10 minutes to increase the clove aroma, 4 vinyl guaiacol (4VG) This can be tricky with a single infusion set up, but home brewers are resourceful and you'll find a way. Here is an article that explains a bit more about brewing German wheat beers. http://beerandwinejournal.com/german-wheat-beer-iii/

Kevin Sweezey
BJCP Certified Judge

Offline willisar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:07:26 am »
I did a 10 minute rest for ferulic acid (locked at 112), and used only about 52% wheat malt to maximize the production of it.  My fermentation temperature was 64 degrees.  The product had a very clove like aroma with substantial banana flavor.  I didn't do any yeast stress procedures, besides the colder than normal temperatures, but it was the best balanced German wheat beer that I've ever made.

-Shayne

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:23:14 am »
A ferulic rest will increase the clove not banana. That strain throws more banana at cold temperatures. JZ recommends fermenting at 62, I have at 58 and it's a banana bomb at that temperature. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk