Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool Hops Addition Terminology Question  (Read 4925 times)

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
Re: Whirlpool Hops Addition Terminology Question
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »
This is to be a clone of a commercial beer. Does anyone know a commercial brewery that has a chiller between the kettle and whirlpool? I don't, but it could be done.

Touche'.  This is also the reason I stick to higher temps.  They could transfer to another vessel (dedicated WP) and that could drop the temp maybe.  Who cares, adding fruit to an IPA is sacrilege anyway...  ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 03:00:02 pm »
This is to be a clone of a commercial beer. Does anyone know a commercial brewery that has a chiller between the kettle and whirlpool? I don't, but it could be done.

Touche'.  This is also the reason I stick to higher temps.  They could transfer to another vessel (dedicated WP) and that could drop the temp maybe.  Who cares, adding fruit to an IPA is sacrilege anyway...  ;D
Yes it will drop the temperature, but a 100 bbls (use your favorite breweries kettle size here) of recently boiling wort into a whirlpool will drop it a little, but would guess not <200 F.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 03:25:16 pm »
Isn't keeping hop material out of the heat exchanger the original purpose of a the whirlpool? So, I don't think many would want to chill ahead of the whirlpool unless they use something closer to what we consider a counterflow chiller vs a plate chiller.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:24 pm »

Yes it will drop the temperature, but a 100 bbls (use your favorite breweries kettle size here) of recently boiling wort into a whirlpool will drop it a little, but would guess not <200 F.

Honestly, I don't know, interesting stuff.  I have also wondered if they run the WP for some time prior to adding any hops.  To me, it's less about exactly how to do it and more about the concept getting the majority of your IBU from the WP rather than boil. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »
Honestly, I don't know, interesting stuff.  I have also wondered if they run the WP for some time prior to adding any hops.  To me, it's less about exactly how to do it and more about the concept getting the majority of your IBU from the WP rather than boil. 

To me, it just illustrates how we can have the flexibility at home to do it our way, and not feel limited by procedures that breweries do because they have to. For me, it's about getting all of my target IBUs at 60 mins, but loading the pot with hops @ 170F to get a s#!*ton of flavor and aroma with little or no extra bitterness. Doing it your own way rocks.
Jon H.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:45 am »

I have been to one where they place the whirlpool hops in the whirpool before. I have read others add hops later. Comes down to the equipment and what the brewery wants to do for the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!