Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Realizing a dream  (Read 3373 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Realizing a dream
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 10:50:55 am »
Not that any of us bores anyone talking about homebrewing...

Ha!  For sure.  It seems that most of my extracurricular activities fall in that category.  It's about the time I start bringing up beta glucans that people start wandering off...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 01:33:12 pm »
If I ever upgrade I'd go with the Heritage softail.  But with young kids and everything else, I hardly ride the Sportster.  My standard response these days when people ask if I ride a Harley is "well, I own one."
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 02:45:01 pm »
Harley Davidson sure does make some beautiful machines, but as someone who purposefully lives on what I would hope to be a quiet country road, I wish they would stop using faulty mufflers!  ;)

I really like the tone rather than the volume.  However, I was going for performance (103.5" bore, head work, cams) and unfortunately noise comes with a free-flowing engine.  That is why the drag strips are so loud.  Mine is on the loud side but not painful, and I hope not obnoxious, though I'm sure it is to some.  No worries though, I'll be by you in a second.  ;)

Oh!  114 ft. lbs of torque, and 105 hp.  Dyno-tuned by a pro!

Sorry, Erik got me going.  I'll stop.  NO ONE bring up ham radio.  I can put you to sleep faster than my bike will go on that topic!
Not that any of us bores anyone talking about homebrewing...
I know there are good reasons for the noise and I think they sound cool but some go too far and obviously are trying to be loud. Honestly, I don't know how they stand it. Unfortunately there is a spot down the road from me that is a bit of a destination so during the summer when I am out gardening or relaxing and the only sounds on my little back road should be birds and pollinators I often hear Harleys, some of which are very noisy driven by men over compensating for who knows what. I'm not trashing most riders but some are pretty annoying.

I don't usually have a problem with the sound of a Harley.  I wonder how some of those guys can hear anything after riding their bike but that's not my problem. 

The only bike that ever really bothered me was the neighbor across the alley from a house I rented in Lincoln, NE.  He would light his soft tail up every morning at 4AM and then spend 10 minutes trying to get it warm enough to idle.   >:(  Ten minutes of rumbling straight pipes every morning before sunrise is not a way to be a good neighbor.  I have to admit I was not too upset when he laid it down on "O" street and totaled it (luckily he wasn't hurt).

The new bike is a beauty man!  Take care of it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?