Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping Advice  (Read 6399 times)

Offline doughcutter

• 1st Kit
Dry Hopping Advice
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:28 pm »
I have 10 or so homebrew batches under my belt so still a bit of a newbie.  does anyone have any advice on the best methods for dry hopping?  specifically I'm curious what anyone might suggest for the best results as far as time until bottling/kegging?  best to bottle within short time period prior to bottling ... 24 hours?  dry hop for X # of days?    leaf or pellet?  throw them in vs. using a hop ball/tube?  thanks!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Dry Hopping Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:35:35 am »
Well, I'll tell you what I do.  I wait until fermentation is over, or mostly so, then I drop pellets in.  I keep the temperature the same and wait 3 days.  Most if not all of the oils will be in solution by this time, and the hop material will have had time to settle out somewhat.  I then cold crash for 2+ days.  This will help drop even more yeast and hops.  Then I keg.  If I can cold condition longer, I do.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:26 am »
I've tried nearly all the different takes on it and my preferred method is to crash cool a few days and transfer to secondary :o (get it off the yeast) bring back up room temp and DH a week to ten days.  I routinely swirl the fermenter a few times each day and take the airlock off and whiff then crash cool and keg once the level seems to taper off.  If you research the pro brewers who are talking about short DH times you need to realize they are pumping and recircing the beer when DH.  Also, I think a beer where the pH is higher than ideal has a negative affect of DH.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:41 am »
If you research the pro brewers who are talking about short DH times you need to realize they are pumping and recircing the beer when DH. 

exactly - this is often overlooked.

I do very similar to zwiller these days, though I don't always cold crash before secondary, but I like to when I have time/remember to.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:55 am »
You'll get lots of different responses here, most any of them a viable way to do it. I like to let the beer drop clear, keg it, then dry hop in a purged keg (in a fine mesh paint strainer bag) for ~ 5 days @ room temp.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:37 am »
Agreed, pretty much any DH method works and there is really no wrong way to do it.  Each way has slight variations and you kinda have to find the method that YOU like.

Jon, your method has me intrigued and would love to save a few steps.  I have never used a hop bag.  A few questions: Do you bump up/adjust for the bag?  You pull after 5 days?  Add the ascorbic acid at this time?  You talking HD/Lowes stuff or LHBS.  Size etc?   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:45:03 am »
Add the ascorbic acid at this time?     

First I've heard of this?  :o

What does that do?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
Add the ascorbic acid at this time?     

First I've heard of this?  :o

What does that do?

Supposedly retards oxidation.  Supposedly...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:07:39 am »
Agreed, pretty much any DH method works and there is really no wrong way to do it.  Each way has slight variations and you kinda have to find the method that YOU like.

Jon, your method has me intrigued and would love to save a few steps.  I have never used a hop bag.  A few questions: Do you bump up/adjust for the bag?  You pull after 5 days?  Add the ascorbic acid at this time?  You talking HD/Lowes stuff or LHBS.  Size etc?   

No, I don't bump up specifically since I'm using a bag, but I use a lot of dry hops anyway :)  I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from hardware stores. I use a bag inside a bag (to trap particles more effectively), zip tied shut, and leave in the keg. So ascorbic and dry hops go into the bottom of a purged keg, rack on top. As for the ascorbic, like Denny said, 'supposedly' retards oxidation. I've read many references to breweries seeing value in it at one point, so like Brewtan, I see it as cheap insurance.
Jon H.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 10:26:56 am »
I dry hop in the keg at room temp for three days and then reduce the temp for cold crashing and carbonation.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 10:43:29 am »

No, I don't bump up specifically since I'm using a bag, but I use a lot of dry hops anyway :)  I use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from hardware stores. I use a bag inside a bag (to trap particles more effectively), zip tied shut, and leave in the keg. So ascorbic and dry hops go into the bottom of a purged keg, rack on top. As for the ascorbic, like Denny said, 'supposedly' retards oxidation. I've read many references to breweries seeing value in it at one point, so like Brewtan, I see it as cheap insurance.

I went through an antioxidant phase maybe 10 years ago.  Tried metabisulphate, ascorbic acid, even cinnamon.  I didn't find that any of them made any difference.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:48:57 am »

I went through an antioxidant phase maybe 10 years ago.  Tried metabisulphate, ascorbic acid, even cinnamon.  I didn't find that any of them made any difference.

I've been too lazy (so far) to do a double batch and compare, Denny. I want to though. It seems that my hop aroma lasts a bit longer but that's just conjecture. Regardless, it's cheap. 
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 11:12:43 am »

I've been too lazy (so far) to do a double batch and compare, Denny. I want to though. It seems that my hop aroma lasts a bit longer but that's just conjecture. Regardless, it's cheap. 

No need to double batch just split keg unless you're worried about head space. 

Quick follow up: when you say purge, are you talking medieval fill it up with sanitizer push with CO2?   

Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 11:35:58 am »

Cheap insurance is a good deal!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:03 am »
Quick follow up: when you say purge, are you talking medieval fill it up with sanitizer push with CO2?

that's what I do.  with chainmail on.

what's the preferred method these days?