Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping Advice  (Read 6400 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Dry Hopping Advice
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:33 am »
No need to double batch just split keg unless you're worried about head space. 

Quick follow up: when you say purge, are you talking medieval fill it up with sanitizer push with CO2?   

Been too lazy to split kegs, too. I purge the keg with sanitizer. No chainmail here.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
I'd be lazy too if I had to fill the dang things up with sanitizer...   ;D  That is just not happening for me.  Anyone aware if the pros are doing this?  I doubt it.  If I can get another week or so from ascorbic acid, I will be happy.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 03:22:38 pm »
If I can get another week or so from ascorbic acid, I will be happy.     

Or more. That's my thinking. I don't see it as Brewtan B which in my opinion seems to improve beer as well as hopefully extending shelf life. I see ascorbic more as a second line of defense to (hopefully) combat oxidation from kegging, extend shelf life and especially hop aroma life.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:24:46 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »
I've never heard of the ascorbic acid trick either.  How much do you add to the keg?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »
I've never heard of the ascorbic acid trick either.  How much do you add to the keg?

I use the LD Carlson stuff from the LHBS. IIRC it's 1 tsp/ 5 gallons.

EDIT -  Verified my bottle -  1 tsp/ 5 gals.

https://www.bellsbeer.com/store/products/Ascorbic-Acid-%252d-1-oz.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:50:34 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline doughcutter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 07:32:11 pm »
thanks for the tips  everyone.   much appreciated! 

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 03:40:11 am »

Or more. That's my thinking. I don't see it as Brewtan B which in my opinion seems to improve beer as well as hopefully extending shelf life. I see ascorbic more as a second line of defense to (hopefully) combat oxidation from kegging, extend shelf life and especially hop aroma life.

I've not heard of this before, would it work when bottling too?  I might give this a go with my current batch.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 03:52:15 am »

I've not heard of this before, would it work when bottling too?  I might give this a go with my current batch.

Yeah, you could add it at bottling.

Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:55 am »

Yeah, you could add it at bottling.

Cheers.  Just purchased some from Ebay.  Hopefully all my hop aroma won't be blown off by dry hopping during the end of fermentation.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 05:59:57 am »
Hopefully all my hop aroma won't be blown off by dry hopping during the end of fermentation.

I wouldn't expect it to help with losing hop aroma through the airlock. Honestly, I see it as an aid to ward off oxidation especially from kegging (my unproven feeling anyway). But adding it at bottling could give anti-oxidative help, though yeast from bottle conditioning is an aid there as well.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:48 am »
Hopefully all my hop aroma won't be blown off by dry hopping during the end of fermentation.

I wouldn't expect it to help with losing hop aroma through the airlock. Honestly, I see it as an aid to ward off oxidation especially from kegging (my unproven feeling anyway). But adding it at bottling could give anti-oxidative help, though yeast from bottle conditioning is an aid there as well.

I meant that hopefully I will have aroma left to preserve at bottling, rather than it stopping any that might get expelled during dry hopping.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:11 am »

I meant that hopefully I will have aroma left to preserve at bottling, rather than it stopping any that might get expelled during dry hopping.

Ok, gotcha.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:37 am »

I think preserving DH requires a different approach and it makes sense in my mind to treat at packaging and ascorbic acid just makes so much sense.  Be careful tho, ascorbic acid is said to impart fruity flavors to beer and that is definitely something we don't want. ;D  In the interest of complete disclosure, I think it is possible we may have to increase dosing for a large hoppy beer like IPA.  That might explain why not everyone is convinced that it works.  My Vitamin C IPA is on deck next and will report my findings.  Plan on sticking to the 1tsp per 5G.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 08:50:01 am »

I think preserving DH requires a different approach and it makes sense in my mind to treat at packaging and ascorbic acid just makes so much sense.  Be careful tho, ascorbic acid is said to impart fruity flavors to beer and that is definitely something we don't want. ;D  In the interest of complete disclosure, I think it is possible we may have to increase dosing for a large hoppy beer like IPA.  That might explain why not everyone is convinced that it works.  My Vitamin C IPA is on deck next and will report my findings.  Plan on sticking to the 1tsp per 5G.   

I don't go beyond on hoppy beers, because I don't want to hit the flavor threshold. Curious to see what you think.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 10:49:00 am »

It would work as well for bottling as it does for kegging.  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell