Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Help make a nut brow ale!

How would you guys recommend going about this?
0 (0%)
would you ever just stick the nuts in the mash or boil?
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Nut Brow Ale  (Read 2490 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
Nut Brow Ale
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
Fall is here and winter is coming I think its time to make some dark beers. I am wanting to make a nut brow ale. For the nuts I was thinking about using pistachios. I have never use nuts in any beer before and I am not sure how to go about using them. how would you guys recommend going about this?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Nut Brow Ale
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:34 am »
Crush them, roast them in the oven, and throw them in the mash.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:41 am »
How long would you roast them for and how many Lbs would you use for a 5 gallon batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:47 am »
You realize that "nut brown" refers to the color?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 10:36:49 am »
OH man, I was thinking of a total different kind of nutz. I would just dip those in the boil kettle.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
1-2 lb at 350F until they are lightly toasted...or you could just use some victory and biscuit malts?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:32:10 pm »
No i did not realize nut means the color. I was just trying to maybe get a little bit of the pistachio flavor into the beer and didn't know how to go about this. I have heard of people using different kinds of nuts in beer and though it would be fun to try pistachios. I am up of any suggestions and help.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 03:33:16 pm »
This place has several options nut wise including pistachio.
https://www.olivenation.com/extracts-flavorings.html
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 03:49:07 pm »
This place has several options nut wise including pistachio.
https://www.olivenation.com/extracts-flavorings.html

Drew is a big fan of their stuff.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 04:18:32 pm »
Steve and Denny, when using this oil would you add this to the secondary before bottling it or if i was going to keg it would i add it to the keg?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 05:32:55 pm »
Steve and Denny, when using this oil would you add this to the secondary before bottling it or if i was going to keg it would i add it to the keg?

I have used a lot of these extracts before. And while expensive, they last a long time since they are so potent. If bottling, simply add the desired amount to your bottling bucket along with your priming sugar prior to racking your beer on top. If kegging, add it directly to the keg. You will not need much for a 5 gallon batch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:13:51 am »

I have used a lot of these extracts before. And while expensive, they last a long time since they are so potent. If bottling, simply add the desired amount to your bottling bucket along with your priming sugar prior to racking your beer on top. If kegging, add it directly to the keg. You will not need much for a 5 gallon batch.

THIS^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:23:46 pm »

I must admit that while I bookmarked their site for future reference I've not actually used any of their products. But like Denny says Drew is a big fan and that was good enough for me to make sure I could get back to their site in the future.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women