Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish Ale  (Read 7453 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Scottish Ale
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:04 am »
Sounds great Toby.
Thank you
BV

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:10 am »
Toby,

Where does that usually finish for you?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 11:46:14 am »
Toby,

Usually around 1.018.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »
Toby,

Usually around 1.018.

Yum. That is a big beer!

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 03:22:39 pm »
Long mash + long boil = looooong day.

Yeah, it's one beer that I make sure to get an early start on.  And I only brew it once a year.  It will feel extremely strange the next time I brew it.

Do you do anything special to maintain mash temp?  Or does it hold pretty steady for the duration?

I use a Coleman Xtreme 70 as my mash tun.  A 10 gallon of my scotch ale is what I designed the whole system around.  It just fits.  I have a fleece blanket that I use to cover it to keep the heat in (there is some minor heat loss at the hinges otherwise).  It typically drops less than a degree over 2 hours.  But there's no air space to be concerned about.  My regular beers might drop a degree or 2, but still no more than that.

When you are using a cooler for the mash, you can close the lid correct? its only when you do your boil that DMS can be an issue if the top is on?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 08:30:39 am »
When you are using a cooler for the mash, you can close the lid correct? its only when you do your boil that DMS can be an issue if the top is on?

Generally speaking yes. The precursors to DMS form in the mash, but get boiled off.  The seals of various cooler designs vary, though. Heat can escape at the hinges and handle for a rectangular cooler, IME.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 10:24:04 am »

Generally speaking yes. The precursors to DMS form in the mash, but get boiled off.  The seals of various cooler designs vary, though. Heat can escape at the hinges and handle for a rectangular cooler, IME.

Even in the coldest weather here (20s-30s) my rectangular cooler does not lose over 2F in a mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »
Even in the coldest weather here (20s-30s) my rectangular cooler does not lose over 2F in a mash.

I find that I get that big of a drop on the smaller beers in the 70 if I don't toss the blanket over it.  I get no drop in the bigger beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 01:37:38 pm »

I find that I get that big of a drop on the smaller beers in the 70 if I don't toss the blanket over it.  I get no drop in the bigger beers.

What's "smaller" for you?  And what size cooler?  I was talking about my 48 qt. which is the one I use most frequently.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 03:22:07 pm »

What's "smaller" for you?  And what size cooler?  I was talking about my 48 qt. which is the one I use most frequently.

By smaller, I mean a ~5% beer. By 70, I mean 70qt cooler.  I primarily brew 10 gallon batches.  A 5% beer typically takes up right around half the cooler.  I'll get a 1 degree or less drop with the blanket, and right around 2 without it.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 07:34:37 am »

By smaller, I mean a ~5% beer. By 70, I mean 70qt cooler.  I primarily brew 10 gallon batches.  A 5% beer typically takes up right around half the cooler.  I'll get a 1 degree or less drop with the blanket, and right around 2 without it.

Do you guys preheat the cooler by adding hot water in it first, and then adding your brewing water/ grains? May sound like a stupid question but I believe some coolers function a little better this way if you "pre-heat" them.

Offline BUZZSAW52

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:12 am »
I use Dennys Favorite on my porter. I love it!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
Do you guys preheat the cooler by adding hot water in it first, and then adding your brewing water/ grains? May sound like a stupid question but I believe some coolers function a little better this way if you "pre-heat" them.

Not a stupid question at all. I've tried preheating and not doing it, and don't find any difference. I only lose a degree or two at most during a mash. I just hit the right temp differential on my strike water and all is good.

Edit - I do add strike water first, then grain, if I misunderstood your question.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:48:19 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 09:37:29 am »

Sort of.  I compensate for the temp of the cooler in how hot I get the strike water.  So, during colder months, I adjust the strike temp up a degree or two (and have some ice cubes handy to drop it if needed).  But I transfer the water to the cooler first and add the grain after.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:58 am »

I used to, but I decided it's an unnecessary step.  It took me only 2 brews to dial in how much hotter the water had to be if I didn't preheat.  Eliminated a step and some time.

www.dennybrew.com