Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle priming after 6 week lager, do I need to re-yeast?  (Read 16796 times)

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
Bottle priming after 6 week lager, do I need to re-yeast?
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:20:39 am »
The title says it all.  I am going to bottle an alt that has been lagering in the fridge for 6 weeks.  Do I need to add some yeast to bottle, or can I just rouse some yeast sitting on the bottom (I obviously did a secondary in glass to lager)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bottle priming after 6 week lager, do I need to re-yeast?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:53:47 am »
I've never found it necessary to add more yeast in that situation.  But it might not hurt, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »
I'm with Denny,  unless you sorbated, which I doubt, you should be fine

it doesn't take very many of those buggers
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »
i had a vienna lagering for about 8 weeks. got worried too much yeast would be gone.  i had saved a little slurry from the primary and added 1 tablespoon.  then bottled.  at end of bottling the tablespoon of yeast was still in a clump on the bottom.  still carbonated very well.  (problem with this batch was the formaldehyde/medicinal  taste that i haven't tracked down to chlorinated water, sanitation, or poor temperature control with the sanfrancisco lager yeast) 

so, probably not needed to re-add yeast.
Don AHA member

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
Another vote for:

Don't bother.

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »
I brew mostly lagers since I have my fermenting freezer and temp control. Like Weithman5, I use slurry saved from the primary.  I lager for 3-4 weeks @ 32* and use about 1/2 tsp. of slurry gently stirred into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar or DME mixture.  I read about this method some where, I can't remember where.  I have never had any problem with conditioning, but I have never done it without the extra yeast so I may very well be wasting my time and adding extra yeast. I guess for now I will continue to error on the side of caution as I don't see too much problem with the small amount of extra yeast staying in the bottles unless I plan to keep the beer around for an extended period (I have too many taste testers to let that happen).
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline nppeders

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:34:05 am »
I'd say, if you do re-pitch, use the same yeast that you used for your primary/secondary fermentation.  I had the same question for my first lager that I'd had lagering for 6 weeks.   I brewed it with fresh MN Snow for my water source so I didn't want to mess it up during bottling.   I ended up using nottingham dry yeast per my LHBS's suggestion.   I wish I would've used Bohemian Lager yeast.  I think that the nottingham gave it a fruity flavor that wasn't present before bottling.  Still a tasty beer, but my suggestion is, don't re-pitch with yeast.  If you do, use the same yeast as in primary/secondary!

Cheers...and please anyone correct me if I'm off base.

Offline joeysmokedporter

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:14:36 am »
Seems like the general advice is not to add.  Personally, I have had enough issues with carbonation in bottles that I add 1/2 pack of dry lager yeast before bottling, if I am brewing a lager or high-gravity beer.  It is cheap insurance.  I typically rehydrate it in the priming solution and then mix it in as I normally would.  you will likely have good carbonation in one week with this method. 

My first lager, a maerzen, was lagered for 8 weeks.  I tried bottle conditioning without re-yeasting and the bottles did eventually carbonate...8 weeks later.
R. Lorber
Westminster, MD

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 08:01:58 am »
What temperature do you bottle condition in? I typically bottle condition where I ferment, which is colder than ideal for generating carbonation, but I don't have a great alternative place to use, so I have had to learn patience the hard way... flat beer is typically not what your looking for. My stocks are so high now, it really doesn't matter though! Happy brewing!
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale