Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help with AHA recipe regarding crystal 105l  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Goodlandin

• 1st Kit
Help with AHA recipe regarding crystal 105l
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:50:12 pm »
I'm on my 4th all grain batch and want to try the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine recipe on this site but it uses Crystal 105L which I haven't heard of and my local shop doesn't carry it. Any advice on what I should use for a substitution?  My local shop carries 75L and 120L. Should I just mix them 50/50?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Help with AHA recipe regarding crystal 105l
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »
It won't be exact but it will be very close.  Yes, split those two 50/50, that's what I would try.  Cheers and welcome to this forum!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Goodlandin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:08:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply! It's actually English Crystal 105L if that makes a difference but I'll try splitting them and see how it comes out. I'm sure it can't be bad enough I won't drink it.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »
I'd use the 120L and not worry about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:57:20 am »
I seem to think Bairds was among the few that made a grain in that range but I'm not even sure it's produced anymore. If it is then it must be special ordered because I don't see Bairds' domestic wholesaler (CMG) even carrying it.

Personally I would try to find an English crystal in the 90L range rather than blending domestic crystal malts and barring that I'd use more English 75L and maybe a touch of a really dark English crystal in the 140L range. Barring that I'd look for a domestic 90L. For me C120 has too much of a burnt sugar and raisin flavor that doesn't sit well in a barleywine.

Might not hurt to email Sierra Nevada and see if they can provide some insight on what they are sourcing or what they recommend as a substitute.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:43:00 pm »

Might not hurt to email Sierra Nevada and see if they can provide some insight on what they are sourcing or what they recommend as a substitute.

My guess is crystal 60L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:48:54 pm »

My guess is crystal 60L.
They use C60, which Maltster? Bigfoot is also boiled long in a 100 bbl copper direct fired kettle in Chico. That is the one you see on the right  when you walk into the taproom. They get more Maillard products in that system.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:50:14 pm »

My guess is crystal 60L.
They use C60, which Maltster? Bigfoot is also boiled long in a 100 bbl copper direct fired kettle in Chico. That is the one you see on the right  when you walk into the taproom. They get more Maillard products in that system. 105L Crystal may have been a way to add those Maillard products with out a long boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!