Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forced to buy beer  (Read 11994 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Forced to buy beer
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 09:32:33 am »
Fortunately for me, I can stop off at my local brewery for a quart growler fill for $6.  Mmmm, Humidor IPA.  I guess it's not that great a bargain against the price of a 6-pack (that's about $13.50), but it's nice and fresh.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:19 am »
PBR = $6.50/12pack = emergency stash

been there...done that  8)
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 09:46:15 am »
Fortunately for me, I can stop off at my local brewery for a quart growler fill for $6.  Mmmm, Humidor IPA.  I guess it's not that great a bargain against the price of a 6-pack (that's about $13.50), but it's nice and fresh.

Cigar City?  nice.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:42 am »
Cigar City?  nice.
Yep, less than a mile from work.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:28 am »
my vienna has been reduced to cooking due to the mediciney/formaldehyde taste. so i stopped at trader joes and got a very servicable 6 pack of TJs vienna for just under 6 bucks.  that was on the 5th of july. interestingly enough it showed up as the beer of the day on the 6th of july daily beer calender i have.

i have defaulted to budweiser and sam adams from costco in emergency not too expensive.
Don AHA member

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:12 am »
my vienna has been reduced to cooking due to the mediciney/formaldehyde taste. so i stopped at trader joes and got a very servicable 6 pack of TJs vienna for just under 6 bucks.  that was on the 5th of july. interestingly enough it showed up as the beer of the day on the 6th of july daily beer calender i have.

I've been amazed.  The TJ's beer that I've had is danged good.  Over Thanksgiving weekend, my mother-in-law had bought some TJ's Bohemian Pilsner.  At first, I thought, "Man, this is going to be garbage."  I was pleasantly surprised to find a danged good beer!  ;D  I've had several other of there brews since and have not been dissappointed.  Plus, their brand is $2-$3 cheaper than everything else.  Just wish I had a TJ's around here...   :P

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 07:58:47 am »
I stopped in my local grocery store last night and found quite the nice Sam Adams selection.  Their Pal Ale was $7.99, a good bargain.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:26:12 am »
I've been amazed.  The TJ's beer that I've had is danged good. 

Helps when you have Gordon B and Firestone Walker brewing your house brands for you and they've gotten better about how they warehouse the beer. Sadly, they still don't have it cold at the store, but oh well.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:19 am »
I've been amazed.  The TJ's beer that I've had is danged good. 

Helps when you have Gordon B and Firestone Walker brewing your house brands for you and they've gotten better about how they warehouse the beer. Sadly, they still don't have it cold at the store, but oh well.

No kidding, that TJ's Mission Street IPA, is a steal for 6 something a six pack.  I did a side by side blind tasting with Sierra Nevada Torpedo and it's takes a bit to tell which one is which.   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:00 pm »

Aha!  I've been wondering and searching who brews their beer.  I knew it was being done under contract, but I could never locate who was doing the brewing.  Thanks for the insights.  Yes, now that you mention it, none of the TJ's I've been to in the Chicago area have cold beer.  Oh well - doesn't bother me since I'm usually taking it back to Central IL with me.  I will be much happier if/when Champaign-Urbana gets a TJ's.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 12:39:47 pm »
Sierra Nevada is $6.99/6-pack (all styles), and the Pale Ale 12-pack is $12.99 at certain stores (Total Wine, quality liquor stores).  Always a good go-to commercial beer in that bunch.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 02:17:23 pm »
Speaking of TJ's. I know they have some good beer, but my GF got me a 6 of their blueberry wheat recently.

Bleah.

Maybe there are better examples of this style, but I really hated it. It was so sweet, it was like drinking a wine cooler.

I don't want to offend anyone, but this is a total girl-beer.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:12 am »
That's what most fruit beers are good for!

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 11:33:57 am »
I'm not 100% sure, but it may have been the first fruit beer I ever tried.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 12:27:06 pm »
I'm a female and I find blueberry wheat beer disgusting. Just sayin'. I did finally find a fruit beer I like (DH Aprihops), but probably because it has such relatively heavy hops and malt for a fruit beer. Even Magic Hat # 9 doesn't quite do it for me, though at least I didn't have the urge to spit it out. Though I have liked the Schmaltz brewery beers brewed with figs, dates, etc. ... but that's a very different sort of fruit flavor.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member