Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forced to buy beer  (Read 12003 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Forced to buy beer
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 12:29:03 pm »
I don't want to offend anyone, but this is a total girl-beer.

Not in my house, it ain't!  My wife is a tiny thing, but if it's not a 1.070 70+ IBU IPA, she's not interested.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »
glad to see others like the TJ beers.  the calender i referenced earlier said their dark mexican lager is pretty good too.  I will have to try it.  I don't think I could get through the blueberry if it is strong on the berry.  The only fruit beer i have liked was the blackberry wheat from Sam Adams.
Don AHA member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
The dry stout TJ sells for $5.99 is (imho) pretty darn decent. Black Hart or something?? (I do like non-hoppy beers, just not frilly rickrack beers.)  I have paid almost as much for a single of a fancy Spanish stout that wasn't nearly as good. It's not fancy, just dry and sessionable and roasty and all that.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Lynux

• Cellarman
  • Beer geek and hop head
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:50 pm »
TJ also has a nice oatmeal stout that's brewed by Goose Island.

You guys crack me up about the commercial beer thing.  My fridge is always stocked with both homebrew and commercial beer.  I love trying all the new stuff coming out and I think it's important to support craft beer in general.  I especially try to hit all the local brewpubs at least once a month.
A good brew will quench the parched soul

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:03 pm »
You guys crack me up about the commercial beer thing.  My fridge is always stocked with both homebrew and commercial beer.  I love trying all the new stuff coming out and I think it's important to support craft beer in general.  I especially try to hit all the local brewpubs at least once a month.

+1 - always have a good selection of commercial too
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline atahoekid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
I too am forced to buy beer.  I've got two cornys on tap with a scotch ale and an IPA but I doubt that will make it through the neighborhood block party tomorrow.  I also wanted to take a few growlers of my homebrew on my camping trip next weekend.  I think I will have to buy some for that.  The black IPA in the fermenter won't be ready on time (No beer before its' time).  Oh well, despite the cost I will at least be able to be adventurous with my selections   :(

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 06:43:31 am »
Look at the bright side. This will enable you to sample some commercial examples.  8)

Especially if you buy somewhere that allows mixed sixers.  Then you don't need to worry about getting stuck with five more of a beer you might not like.

Thats what I do anytime I buy beer now.. 2 or 3 that I know I like and then fill'r up with brews that are new to me.   ;)  Its a good way to find beer styles you like and those you don't or at least any particular beer from any particular brewery.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 08:48:37 am »
Man I'm glad I don't have to buy beer except for twice/yr as our homebrew is always stocked. If and thats a big if our kegs run dry we just don't drink but that hasn't happened in a very longtime.

Present stocks> 70gals (kegs.fermentors) ,another 6 cases of bottles and then theres our Belgian bottle stash.

Yep don't see us havin to buy beer anytime soon ;D
its all about planning ahead and having backup plans

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 09:56:52 am »
Look at the bright side. This will enable you to sample some commercial examples.  8)

Especially if you buy somewhere that allows mixed sixers.  Then you don't need to worry about getting stuck with five more of a beer you might not like.

Thats what I do anytime I buy beer now.. 2 or 3 that I know I like and then fill'r up with brews that are new to me.   ;)  Its a good way to find beer styles you like and those you don't or at least any particular beer from any particular brewery.

While I was doing just that at the City Beer Store several weeks ago, one of the proprietors said that was very common behavior. I had a Pliny and a Blind Pig in my basket but was hunting for new things to try.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »

Not in my house, it ain't!  My wife is a tiny thing, but if it's not a 1.070 70+ IBU IPA, she's not interested.
ahhh. session beers with some ibus
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 04:45:18 pm »
I think I spend more on commercial beer since I started brewing.  Not becasue I have to either.  I have a very generous stash of homebrew.  I just always want to try new and interesting things to inspire and inform my own brews.  I tend to buy more expen$ive beers and less of quantity I suppose though...

I am in the middle of a move myself.  No brewing for a while but I think I will be alright.  Most of the kegs are full.   ;D

I am jonesing to brew though.   :'(

I offered to let a buddy of mine house my brew stand and use it if I can brew at his place.  We shall see.
Dave Brush

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:58 pm »
+1

I didn't drink crap before, and had't bought commercial beer (except out and about) in a while, now decent 6/12 packs seem to be 50% more than a few years ago and I find myself buying a lot of bottles for $10 each which was unheard of before. Maybe I'm cheap, but nothing beats the inspiration of a true Belgian Lambic when you are trying to recreate it yourself.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »

I have to agree there... give me a nice hoppy DIPA any day.  And don't fruit the beer!

Nothin wrong with keepin a mix-six (or two) on hand.  Always nice to see what's brewin' especially from the local breweries.
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:07 pm »
interesting the bear of the day on my calendar is mission st. blonde ale.  again Trader Joes.
Don AHA member

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 11:31:04 pm »
I work p/t at TJ's and they do get some pretty good store-brand beers, and depending on where you are in the country, you may get some decent local brews too (here in MA we get Smuttynose from NH which is one of my fav's).  We recently got 22oz of the Mission Brown Ale and Hefeweisen... and while neither was remarkable on it's own, we combined them (creating the "Brown Heifer") and it was pretty darn good  :D  When it's only $2.50 for 22oz, experimenting can be fun!
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.