Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Forced to buy beer  (Read 12013 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Forced to buy beer
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:28 am »
interesting the bear of the day on my calendar is mission st. blonde ale.  again Trader Joes.

Trader Joes
I was wondering what TJ's was
In NJ no beer or wine in grocery stores so I had no idea.
I am noticing that even my old favorite commercial beers don't taste quite
as good as I remember them after drinking only home brew for a while.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 05:22:55 am »
Thanks for finally telling us what TJ's is.  We don't have those here.
I thought it was a brewery......
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 03:04:49 pm »
You guys crack me up about the commercial beer thing.  My fridge is always stocked with both homebrew and commercial beer.  I love trying all the new stuff coming out and I think it's important to support craft beer in general.  I especially try to hit all the local brewpubs at least once a month.
I agree.  I pretty much always have something in the DBF.  Goose Island never fails and now with the new beer laws in Iowa, there's a lot more great beers making their way into Iowa.  How could you only drink homebrew?  Why would you want to be so close-minded?
Jesse

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »
Go big (or local) or go home...

If you're buying commercial, grab a growler or a sixer from a local brewery/brewpub...

Don't have any close? I agree with Goose Island. Ooh, and Dogfish Head...

It may be expensive, but once you crack open a 90 Min IPA, India Brown Ale, Bourbon County Stout, or Pere Jacques, you'll be okay with it
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:33 am »
Go big (or local) or go home...

If you're buying commercial, grab a growler or a sixer from a local brewery/brewpub...

Don't have any close? I agree with Goose Island. Ooh, and Dogfish Head...

It may be expensive, but once you crack open a 90 Min IPA, India Brown Ale, Bourbon County Stout, or Pere Jacques, you'll be okay with it
I actually didn't like the 90 minute IPA, too fruity or something...just didn't like it.  But Goose Island IPA is one solid beer, as is the honkers and 312.  I'm sad they don't bottle the oatmeal stout anymore, I liked that beer alot.  But they still have the Harvest ale in the autumn, might fine brew that is. 
But I agree about buying local.  Millstream is local, and they make some great beer.  Iowa Pale Ale is great, as is their oatmeal stout and Schild Brau.  They have a new beer now called Backroads Stout, which is their oatmeal stout recipe with more abv. Yum!
Jesse

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 09:46:28 am »
Russian River, 21st Amendment, Magnolia, Social Brewery, Speakeasy... yeah I have no trouble buying local. :-) One of life's better moments is wrapping up the weekend with a pint of Prohibition Ale at the Little Shamrock on a late Sunday afternoon... and I can walk there!

I think the TJ's thread was partly about being able to buy quality but low-cost beer at a grocery store such as TJ's versus being forced to buy PBR et al.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:18 am »
I actually didn't like the 90 minute IPA, too fruity or something...just didn't like it.  But Goose Island IPA is one solid beer, as is the honkers and 312.  I'm sad they don't bottle the oatmeal stout anymore, I liked that beer alot.  But they still have the Harvest ale in the autumn, might fine brew that is. 
But I agree about buying local.  Millstream is local, and they make some great beer.  Iowa Pale Ale is great, as is their oatmeal stout and Schild Brau.  They have a new beer now called Backroads Stout, which is their oatmeal stout recipe with more abv. Yum!
Also not a fan of the 90 min, but I like DFH 60 min, though not my fav. 

Yeah, if you're lucky enough to have a TJs that sells alcohol (not all do, it's a state thing) you can get their brand cheap, and pretty good brews, and often local brews for less than the grocery or liquor stores.

Haven't seen Goose Island, but the way you guys talk about it, I may have to hunt it down.  I have a friend who travels to Cleveland frequently and brings me back Great Lakes... nice stuff from what I've had so far.  We have so many local breweries here in New England, I spend every weekend exploring new ones  ;D
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »
On the topic of semi-reasonably priced quality beer, our office manager bought a case of assorted Kirkland beers from Costco, and I thought they were pretty good. Especially the German ones.

Then again, if I go buy beer, I am usually in the PBR or Original Coors camp.  This time of year, I gotta  buy cans for the raft cooler.... and although more and more micros are putting product out in cans, you cannot beat good American swill beer on a hot day out on the river.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »
Then again, if I go buy beer, I am usually in the PBR or Original Coors camp.  This time of year, I gotta  buy cans for the raft cooler.... and although more and more micros are putting product out in cans, you cannot beat good American swill beer on a hot day out on the river.

Absolutely!  As I always say, American Lager is a style, just like any other.  It has its own time and place.  That would be one of them.  8)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
The crisis has passed. Started drinking my hefe on friday. Glad its a fast beer. Had some hops issues, some temp issues, but it tastes good. This is also the first beer in the new house. Totally dif water. Hard well water, but so far so good.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »
I'm sad they don't bottle the oatmeal stout anymore, I liked that beer alot. 

I think I sent a pm to brew - witch on accident. Anyway. just was in Lisle, IL  saw goose island oatmeal stout in a bottle. thought you may want to know
Don AHA member

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:30 pm »
I've been outta town for the past week or so unexpectedly, so leaning on Ommegang Three Philosophers, Ayinger's Oktoberfest-Marzen, and Sierra Nevada Torpedo to cut the nerves. I'm not usually a Sierra Nevada fan, but it has been my favorite surprisingly. TP just wasn't what I was in the mood for and the Oktoberfest was good, but not as good as it was touted to be.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline brew-witch

• Cellarman
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »

I think I sent a pm to brew - witch on accident. Anyway. just was in Lisle, IL  saw goose island oatmeal stout in a bottle. thought you may want to know

No problem :)
If you can't handle an hour of leisure time, then eternity is going to be a problem.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 10:18:54 am »

Really...pretty sure they aren't bottling that beer anymore.  Might've been OLD bottles that you saw.  Either way, thanks for informing me.
Jesse

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:28 am »
it could be old. i didn't check the dates.  if you aren't in this area let me know maybe i can swing back by the store and grab some
Don AHA member